Trip To Dallas | Teen Ink

Trip To Dallas

And what would you like to drink young man? “Hot Chocolate please” I was so exited to go to Dallas. I was super sore from my basketball game the night before, but that did not suspend my excitement. While munching on my off-brand Scooby snacks, I looked out the window. The vivid white clouds underneath the plane caught my eye. As I sipped down on my watered-down airplane hot chocolate I studied with my dad.

After what felt like forever, the plane finally reached the ground. There we were, we were in Dallas. As we walked off the plane, we found ourselves rushing to the bathroom. When I smelt the nasty, fresh smell of human feces it reminded me that I am still on earth and not in a overwhelming dream. As we walked past  the food court the delicious scent of the food court fluttered toward my nostrils. I will never forget that first uber ride my dad and I took through the town of Dallas. We looked out for all the landmarks, and hotels, and skyscrapers we would later visit. Almost to the hotel, we passed the place we would spend the most time at that weekend. The American Airlines Arena. Once we got to the hotel we threw our bags down and walked as fast as we thought was humanly possible. We grabbed some breakfast and discussed what the gameplan was for the day. We were originally supposed to go to a hockey game in the afternoon, that was the main reason why we were there, but soon later. we discovered that there was a basketball game that night also. After much begging and deliberating my dad and I found out that it was possible to attend both games. All we had to do was hustle. As I scuffed down my bright yellow, fluffy eggs I ran out. We had to make sure that we could get dressed and get to the game on time. As I put on my jersey I blasted out of the hotel. As we walked in the gross, nasty elevator the germs swarmed my body. The temptation to push every single button in there struck me, but I knew we had to hurry.  We hopped in the uber and got to the arena. I felt out of place. Standing outside of the arena with vivid green jerseys surrounding me. I was like a crow in a field of bright colored birds. I was so scared the whole day somebody was going to smack talk me.

Then we were there. Sitting in our seats waiting for the puck to drop. I had a feeling this would be a close game but I wasn’t positive. Goal after goal the Dallas stars scored. It was 3-1 20 minutes in it was awful. Sitting there while the arena was rocking. Nothing has ever felt worse. Flying thousands of miles to watch a game and to lose this bad. The game wasn’t over though. After picking up some food it was time to finish the game. It felt like a blur. Watching the puck find its way in the net numerous times hurt so bad. All in all it was an awful game. Dallas, eight, Lightning one. Walking out of there felt like there was a target on my back.

Hours later, we found ourselves headed toward the other game. This one was the OKC Thunder and the Dallas Mavericks. After demolishing a warm juicy burger, we headed in the arena. I felt more belong here. I wasn’t rooting for the other team finally. I could cheer when the crowd did and I could boo when the fans did also.  Walking in I could already feel that the vibes were way more electric than the hockey game we went to previously in the day.  Finding our seats, we looked onto the court. “This is going to be fun” I thought to myself. Watching the ball go up and down the court is special. That’s what I want to do when I grow up. While loosing by almost 30 points the crowd started to die down. I looked to my right and saw my dad almost falling asleep.

That’s when the fun started to happen though. Luka Doncic and the Dallas Mavericks started making almost all their shots. Bucket after bucket they were on a roll. The arena was electric. I had never seen something like that in my life. No body in the whole arena was sitting. They went on a 30 point run. They cut the lead down. It was a tie game. It was absolutely nuts. Until there was around a minute left. Dallas found there way down by 3 and they had one chance to win the game. The best player in the world, or at least that’s what it felt like, Luka Doncic shoots the ball. The crowd is silent. “CLANK” the rim sounds. That’s it, they lost the game. That had meant, my dad and I, well, both the teams we cheered for lost.  I guess we are bad luck.

I will never forget that long treacherous walk back to the hotel. It was to busy to take an uber. I remember getting lost in the city. We were just following the crowd. As we were walking our noses were pugged because of the vicious nasty small of horse poop, not trying to step on any. Looking at the hotel from the back wondering which turn we forgot to take. My favorite part, sprinting across the street trying not to get hit by a car like we were in Crossey Road.

Then that’s where I found myself, boarding the plane. I wasn’t ready to go home yet. Life felt like a dream it was awesome. Sitting there looking out the window in my uncomfortable plane seat. It really hit me that life wasn’t perfect  when we hit turbulence and all of my candy flew

I like Russell Westbrook.