On The Fence | Teen Ink

On The Fence

By Alissa_87 BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
Alissa_87 BRONZE, New Castle, Delaware
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

"Sometimes what we don't do, is every bit as powerful as what we do."

I was always a shy, quiet, reserved kid, growing up I never did much adventuring nor did I take any exciting risks, I wasn't outgoing or talkative, I was introverted and never spoke up for myself, I preferred to keep to myself and stay blended into the background, there were only ever a select few people who I opened up around, which brings us to a sunny day on the 21st of June.

My family came together to celebrate my grandmother's birthday, it was close to the end of the party when my three cousins and I, who I am incredibly close to, decided we wanted to get up to something, what that was we were unsure of at the time but then, my younger cousin Ella told us the story about how she and her friends hopped the fence at a park down the street, I was a little hesitant about doing this but seeing as my other two cousins, Olivia and Hannah agreed we set off on our way to the playground of Richie Elementary School, we held small conversations on our way to the school, it seemed the closest to it we came the more our conversations began to indulge in times from our childhood, more accurately our time at this school.

As the equipment of the school's playground came into view we instead veered towards the Conrad baseball field that was installed there a few years before, Ella began to give us instructions on the best way to get inside the field, as she spoke my adrenaline increased, and I began to get more and more nervous, I'm still not much of a risk taker nor do I often venture out of my comfort zone when it comes to tasks like this, a trait that stuck with me from my childhood, noticing the sprinklers going off inside my excitement takes the pressure away from my nerves, it becomes my turn to climb over the fence, looking down at the dress I'm wearing the tight short sleeves making it difficult for me to raise my arms much, I realise I may not be in the best clothes for this activity.

Hesitantly, I climb to the top of the fence, swing my legs around and take a leap, knees bent, landing on my feet just barely, once we’re all inside we take a second to look at each other with matching smiles before we all take off running, we’re soaked in seconds running straight through the streams of water spraying out of the nozzles going throughout the ground, we all have our phones out trying to capture the moment.

Running around this dark field, soaking wet, laughing, and filming each other like complete idiots, I could feel nothing but joy and happiness, in that moment there wasn't much more I could have wanted, despite my earlier nerves and hesitation, I'm glad to have chosen to be on that certain side of the fence.

After deciding that we were too wet and too cold to stay any longer we decided to make our way home, coming back up to the fence my nerves started to return, I was never the best fence climber, so I decided to go over the fence last, making my way up the black wired wall I settle myself in the corner to make it easier for myself to balance I swing my legs over and look down, I tell myself that I'm not as high up as it seems, that doing little to settle my nerves I realize the end of my dress got caught on one of the wires I try my best to undo it, my cousins step in to help me get down from the fence and laughter roaring from us like a herd of wild animals, we make our way home from the park, the events from the day turning into fond memories. 

More recently I've been trying my best to expand my comfort zone, trying to live in the moment rather than overthink every last decision, it has been different, uncomfortable, and difficult, but it is worth it, doing things how I want without worrying about other peoples opinions, speaking out on what I want and how I feel has changed the way I do and think about everyday things.

My name is Alissa, I am a 15 year old sophomore in Delaware, this memoir was meant to resemble my progress throughout my life, my path unto becoming "me".