The Split | Teen Ink

The Split

By TheFortniteGuy BRONZE, Cincinati, Ohio
TheFortniteGuy BRONZE, Cincinati, Ohio

It was Valentine’s Day 2015 and 1 bell away from the party and we were playing duck duck goose in music class (BAD idea). I was skeptical at first because of all the dangerous and sharp objects that were in that room but I thought I would give it a try. It was my turn, I got picked. My heart was beating. I felt like I was faster than the flash and then all of a sudden FWIP. I went flying into the book shelf  and then CRACK. My head is split open gushing blood. I could just feel the burning magma dripping from the wound and I’m in extraordinary pain. On top of that I felt like that shelf was eyeing me down as if I just burned it down and stabbed it. Thoughts were flooding in I didn't know what was happening. I felt like I was in a dark hole I couldn’t escape. 

As I was driven to the hospital the pain was getting worse by the second. So bad all I wanted to do was scream. We were 20 minutes away. The pain was horrible. We were 15 minutes away. Not any better. 10 minutes away. Nothing changed. 5 minutes away. I felt like I was going to die.As we pulled into the hospital and the headaches hurt so bad I thought my head was being stabbed over and over again. The odd smell of rubbing alcohol that the hospital always has, hit me the second I walked in. Moments later when I layed down on the hospital bed. It was rough, papery, and tight with bright lights shining on my head like a spotlight. And then I overheard the nurse talking to my mom saying “He will need 17 stitches” . Those words were ringing in my ears. That scared me to death. The pain was still getting worse. The headaches were getting worse. “ What are stitches?”“Will they hurt?”“What is happening?”. At first I thought my life was over but once they numbed me I was out. I woke up three and a half hours later with a total of 17 stitches on my forehead. The pain was gone. I couldn't believe it. I wasn’t scared anymore. I felt as if I was empowered and the best I had since the day before. I had my life back. No more fear. No more pain. No more suffering. It was all over. There was so much rushing through my little kindergarten brain. Those thoughts were finally equating.

I was told the bookshelf I slammed my head on was thrown away because of the blood red stains all over it. That was the last thought I had of this horrid experience in my head. Now I know to not be scared in these situations because no matter the case it will always work out in the end. The days on were blue skies and green grass.