The Best Kind of Hunting | Teen Ink

The Best Kind of Hunting

By Rosswog BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Rosswog BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

One of my favorite quotes comes from the show The Office when Andy Bernard states,”I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days before you’ve actually left them”. I never really cherished my childhood until it was over and, like Andy Bernard, I look back wishing I could have enjoyed it more.

I grew up in Upstate New York in a small town you would pass by and never look back at. It was the kind of place where hunting and fishing was a religion and Sunday church was a requirement. Much of my family lived in this small town and I spent a lot of time wandering the woods with my cousins, fishing with my uncle, or getting together on Saturday nights and playing guitar. 

Growing up I would always watch my grandfather, uncles and father get up at five in the morning and “Go Huntin”, it was something of a tradition to hunt every morning you could. Needless to say I always looked forward to the day I would be able to go out with them and finally be included in the tradition that was looked at so fondly in my town. When I turned twelve, my grandpa and Dad took me to an amish shop that sold bows and bought me my first compound bow. I was so excited I asked every ten minutes to take it out back and shoot it. 

The day before my first hunt I was so excited I couldn't sleep. My mind raced with images of me shooting ten point bucks and bringing home venison to my proud family. I dreamt of celebrations and the gargantuan trophy that would be my first deer. 

When my five o’clock alarm rang and my grandpa and dad started to get ready, I was shaking with excitement. It was a frigid 20 degree, dark morning, but as I trudged through the swamp I could hardly feel the cold. As I sat in the tree stand in the bitter morning air, my father and grandpa talked and laughed, enjoying the morning. I sat completely still for four hours, waiting impatiently for my moment. I saw nothing. 

It continued like this for the next couple mornings, I sat alert and ready to strike while my grandpa and dad enjoyed the morning. After the first couple of days, I grew restless. I felt like I was wasting my time, freezing my ass off at five in the morning while seeing absolutely nothing. Days turned into weeks, which turned into months, I had still seen nothing and every morning I didn't, I enjoyed the experience less and less. 

The truth about hunting is that it is a game of patience, People go years without even seeing a deer. My younger self didn’t see the experience as time I could be enjoying with my dad and grandpa in nature, but as a lost opportunity. 

After a year of not getting a deer, I began to lose interest in hunting. I started to skip days and when I was out I would sit restlessly and impatiently. Soon enough my grandpa started to teach my brother how to hunt and I started to sit alone hunting. 

When I finally did start to see deer, I was alone. I was starting to get into hunting but I wasn’t having the fun I thought I would. It was one of these days when I was sitting alone, enjoying the morning and thinking, when I realized what I was missing. I realized that hunting is about enjoying the moment and being together, it's not just about the trophy. 

Now I enjoy hunting much more and I take any opportunity I can to do it. Even though I enjoy it now, I can’t help but occasionally wonder what I missed when I was younger. If I had lived more in the moment would I have had a more enriching experience? I guess I will never know, but now I enjoy every second of being out in the woods hunting.