The keys to freedom | Teen Ink

The keys to freedom

As the deafening roar of a car engine starts as I turn the key to freedom a new door unlocks. It shows that My parents have trust and faith in me as I grow up.Filled with excitement as I hold the wheel of the car, I have life in my hands. I relive the moment I passed the test and saw the car pull into the driveway. The many memories I make as I keep driving the car and making many cherishable memories as I drive through the country on a hot day.

Small,compact, full of energy, my brother Peyton is one of a kind. He has the energy of a runner but the stamina of an old man. He will do anything to get exercise, even a little bit. I love the fact that he wants to work his butt off to get what he wants and when he wants it he will strive. We do so many things together and make great memories as we both grow up. Even if it's just a ride in my car.

My step dad says hit the gas bud, I do just that and as I watch the speedometer climb, 50,60,70,80, As im soaring among the vast, hot beautiful countryside and the car flies down the empty road feeling the wind in my hair and enjoying it before I finally let off and the rush of adrenaline hits me and i'm jittery with excitement as the car slows down as i hear the engine downshift once,twice,three times, before i hit the speed limit again. The roar of the engine makes me feel like I'm in my own space with no one around me and going that speed makes me feel safe as I hit the gas pedal. 

My car is like freedom in my hands, I can do anything that's in my power and live life to the fullest. It makes me feel like I can escape from anything that has me stressed even if I know that I can get hurt at any second but I don't wanna think about that because I don't want to. I want to feel free not feel scared as I'm rushing at 90 miles per hour but I put that thought in the back of my mind but don’t let it overcome me because I wanna be strong not weak.

This piece was very personal for me to write about and it meant a lot to me and I was very excited to write about this since this was a very important and special moment for me in my life.