A Single Path | Teen Ink

A Single Path

October 21, 2022
By RobloxKid BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
RobloxKid BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 I walked away from misery, he didn’t keep me company. Along that trail, a thousand pieces of shattered heart look up at me. I couldn’t bear to pick up the pieces because everything was so misconstrued. So I left you with a piece of me because exhaustion contorted my body. But they were calling for me, their sorry voices smothering me with sympathy. I almost felt like I couldn’t breathe, but as I returned to gather the plague that left me broken to begin with, I could feel the oxygen start collecting in my lungs again. All because I didn’t leave you with the piece of me that would have lingered over me like a fallen butterfly from her cocoon. Pleading for mercy he begs, but the giver is now frugal. I gave him everything, he gave me agony like a gift on Christmas that you know you don’t want.

 I remember the first day I felt your gaze wear off me and look into a new direction. Your eyes lit up like fireworks, my heart exploded like them. I didn’t know then like how I know now, but a thousand winds contested my mind and ripped away every beautiful memory we had together. You didn’t love me anymore, but you didn’t tell me. You were scared to give me up, but something new excited you. You walked up to her so I followed you. Your smile is wide across your face, mine with pure dissatisfaction. You were not the you that I always knew. You put on a facade that seemed to please you both. It’s been years now that I was in love with you, but to you, we were just best friends. How could you be so selfish? How could you not see? It was eating me up inside, but I guess it’s not your fault. If I lost you I wouldn’t know how to be happy anymore.

Days and days passed, and you 2 were getting closer to each other. I was getting more distant. Watching from a distance jealousy dallied in my body eating my flesh alive. You took her on a date and you both chose not to acknowledge my existence like I was never here before her. I soon started to slip away. I never felt wanted, so this feeling is nothing new to me. 

  As you took her to class a pleasant face came up to me.  A simple greeting congested my spirit and somehow made me smile back. “You look really nice today, I couldn’t help but notice,” he said. We carried on with a conversation that tickled my heart like a little kid. I never thought I’d see the day I didn’t care about you anymore, but it came and never went. After this, he and I talked constantly and created a better bond than you and I ever had.

You saw me one day laughing and bonding with this boy and it seemed confusing to you: Why isn’t she showing me any attention, you thought. I could see it on your face. Yet deep down, you finally saw me happy and knew all along that it could have been us. I didn’t see you with that girl anymore and I never asked you why. I chose not to give all of my thoughts to you anymore. You walked up to me and I could feel the tension in your nerves. Too stunned to speak, I spoke up for you. Then I let you know that our paths have come to an end. 

I will never forget that you were the first person to show me every emotion like every color in the rainbow. I walked away from your misery for the last time because you didn’t keep me company, and in turn, I finally found that happiness in myself.


The author's comments:

 This was my first heartbreak and my experience getting over it. It helped me to realize that if you're not losing friends then you're not growing up. I walked away from all of the heartache I received and became the strong, happy young woman I am today. So walk away from any misery that is not keeping you good company.