The Beginning of Forever | Teen Ink

The Beginning of Forever

By Korrin-Kay BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
Korrin-Kay BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

If you would have told me 10 years ago that my whole life would revolve around dance I would've laughed in your face. I still remember the first day of my journey like it was yesterday. I sat at the dinner table with my parents, carefully running my fork through the stringy noodles hidden under thick pasta sauce smelling like tomatoes. My mother slowed and turned her neck, gazing over me, playing with my food, I felt eyes on me as if I was a B-list celebrity. My mom was hesitant as she looked at me with a slight grin, “Korrin, Sweetie” To which I replied “Yes mom” in a sarcastic tone, is when she broke the news. She had told me I would be starting dance class and I nearly fainted, I squealed from excitement (as any 6-year-old would). My heart jumped from beat to beat now knowing I will be starting a new journey in my life.  I could barely contain my excitement, as I tucked myself in on a typical Sunday night. I lost much sleep, daydreaming about what I would do or where I was going for dance class tomorrow.

got out of bed and poured myself a bowl of colorful captain crunch berries, and I doused them with milk inside the ceramic bowl, I finished.  My stomach filled with bubbles as I walked to my parent’s bathroom, she pulled up a white stool and asked me to sit down. She ran a brush through The next morning I woke up to a ray of the sun across my face, sweeping through the blinds. I got out of bed and poured myself a bowl of colorful captain crunch berries, and I doused them with milk inside the ceramic bowl, I finished.  My stomach filled with bubbles as I walked to my parent’s bathroom, she pulled up a white stool and asked me to sit down. She ran a brush through my tangly hair as she got out elastic rubber bands. She parted my hair down the middle and slipped it into two tight pigtails. I felt the cold hairspray run down my neck and back as she sprayed it. I unzipped my new hot pink dance bag as the smell of new shoes fumed into my nostrils, my mom got out my turquoise plastic water bottle as she filled it with ice cold water in carefully dropped crushed ice cubes into it. I put on my velcro Skechers with joy, I ran into the car and buckled myself as quick as I could. It was difficult to contain my excitement. The 20-minute car ride felt like an hour until we arrived at our destination. I looked up and saw the black and pink lettering that read "Company C Dance Club”.

Here it was, the day that changes everything. I sat in my seat and patiently waited for my mom to unbuckle me. I got out of the car and stepped onto the black parking lot with yellow stripes. My mother grabbed my dance bag while firmly grasping my hand as we were about to walk up to the door.  I stepped into the building as my journey had begun, little did I know that this would be my second home and family for the next 10 years. The door swung open and I felt immediate comfort within all of the dance mom's perfumes, my eyes scanned left from right trying to pick up every detail as I felt overwhelmed because of the crowd. The walk-in area had gray carpet along with gray walls, in the center of the room it read “Company C Dance Club”. Pictures of girls with sparkling costumes and shiny trophies filled the wall and I knew I wanted to do this. I couldn't wait to start dancing.

My mother pulled me up to the front desk when I was greeted by my teacher, she was the most comforting woman I had ever seen. She was a woman with the kindest eyes, long black hair with brown highlights, and bangs covering most of her forehead. Her eyebrows were thin and tamedshe had bright blue eyes, smeared with gold shimmery eye shadow. Her eyeliner looks heavy and caked on. You can see her pores through her foundation. She had red shimmy lips and an olive-green skin tone. She wore silver jewelry on her wrists that were filled with charms, she wore a red pure bar shirt and lululemon pants, and her hair was up with a clip. She was bubbly and talkative and had a bright white smile, she made me feel comfortable while she showed me around the dance studio. 

Finally, she led me to my room, I could barely contain myself. She opened the door to the room that was covered in purple paint. There was the black marly floor that was laid down. The girls all embraced me and introduced themselves. The feeling was indescribable, and from then on I found my love and passion for dance. Who knew something so minor could turn into something major.  Since then dance has become my form of expression as well as happiness. Dance has been the one constant thing in my life. When I have a bad day, dance is something I can turn to, it is funny how signing up for one thing so small can affect the entirety of my life.

This is a memoir on how I found my passion and what it was like to walk through my first big step in life.