Olivia G and Me | Teen Ink

Olivia G and Me

By 4greuel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
4greuel GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

In Latin Olivia means olive tree or olive branch. On its own the meanings of my name don’t really mean much, but then again who matches a dictionary definition? 

Soft and empathetic. That’s the feeling of my name. I care deeply about many things and Olivia seems to show that. I care for my friends and always want to be there for them in any way they need. Like how an olive tree fed the people in ancient times. The tree was there for them when they needed it, as am I.

Common. Olivia is a common name. I have met at least 10 Olivia’s. When people meet me they’ve probably met another Olivia too. This allows me to surprise them and show them that I’m different from the Olivia’s they’ve already met. Because Olivia is common it’s pretty easy to remember. I like that. 

I aspire to create a life for myself that fits me like all these other Olivia’s had before me. Olivia Dunne made her life as an influencer. Olvia Rodrigo made her career as a child actress as well as a singer songwriter. Olivia Culpo made her life as an American model as well as winning Miss United States at only 20 years old. 

But it also leaves me with the feeling that I’m not enough to fill the shoes of my name. I try my best to be the best person I can. but some days it’s really hard when I feel like I’m just not doing good enough. 

Floral. A smell of calm, ease, and togetherness. Olivia brings people in, yet hardly keeps their interest for long. People come and go, but  I remain still. There, yet easily unnoticed like a stuffed animal that fell off the bed. 

When picked up you feel this stuffed animal's warmth and want to make a difference. A dependable stuffed animal that keeps her cool like most, but is always there with emotional support. 

Strong and outgoing, yet overlooked. Olvia is strong with empathy, reasoning, and understanding. These strengths are often overlooked but never forgotten. 

I am like a part of an organization adding new characteristics and attributes to the name Olivia with each person I meet and each person who I draw in. They may not stay, but I know I had a positive effect on them. That’s why my name and I are one in the same.

Olivia is common, but I am not. Like the olive tree. A necessity and a symbol of a past long gone. Not memorable, Though never forgotten. I am the stuffed animal that fell off the bed. Olivia draws people in because she’s there for them. Yet still ends up left behind. a little lonely at times, but ok. My name is strong in ways unlike most. 

And that’s me. Overlooked but never completely forgotten. 

Olivia G.

My name is me, and I am my name.