My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By alex_621 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
alex_621 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

My name is Alejandro. It’s a fitting name for a different place. Here it is foreign, unrecognized. 

My name is like a shadow, always following. Sometimes, though, the shade can be nice. My name is also like a can opener that you have to carry. I don’t want to carry it, but it’s really convenient if there’s a can that needs opening. 

What I mean is, my name is nice sometimes. 

You know, I always thought that people’s names don’t reflect their character. After all, it’s just a label. It’s just a name. But I came to find out that that’s not exactly true. Your name might not personify you, but it does shape who you become. 

My first job was at a mexican restaurant, just a few minutes from my house. All because they liked my name. My name didn’t feel foriegn there. It carried a different meaning. It was warmer, it was lighter. It was welcome. It blended in like the vibrant colors of a summer sunset. Then again, maybe they just liked my name.

I’ve had people try and pronounce my name like “alah gan dero” before. Hearing them say it was like watching a 12oz steak be dropped on the floor. And then they pick it up and cut it with a butterknife, churning the meat as they try and strike it through. That’s what it feels like when a substitute teacher butchers my name. And then after they ruin it, I have to raise my hand and say “here” so now everyone in this room thinks my name is aloepamfjesnfr because that’s how they pronounced it. I don’t bother correcting substitute teachers anymore. Unless they ask me to. Then I will correct them.

All in all, it’s not that bad. I don’t even go by Alejandro. It’s like saying “Alexander”, or “Elizabeth”. It’s too long. Just Alex is okay by me. Except when people ask me if my full name is Alexander. It’s not. It’s Alejandro. Stop calling me Alexander. 

Also, I have a brother, he’s 25 and his name is Eladio. My dad named him after a DJ he saw on a piece of paper. He wanted to name him Jesse like the guy from breaking bad but my mom said absolutely not. I don’t have a fun story behind my name. It’s just from my Uncle. But, I do have a really good story about my birth so that makes up for it.

yeah I wrote it and it was kind of fun I suppose

i'd give it a 6.8/10