My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By kadriche BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
kadriche BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

Ellie. a name from English and French origins. Ellie first became popular in the United Kingdom. The same place the old generation of my family once lived. 

My origin of Ellie is from my grandmother Elizabeth. Ellie, short for Elizabeth, was passed down through generations. 

Although my grandmother and I share the same name, we are unalike in countless ways. She's put together, she's neat, she's sophisticated. She’s like a crisp linen sheet, folded tightly. I go with the flow, I am spontaneous, I’m messy. More like a bunch of unfolded blankets thrown on the bed. Elizabeth is more proper than Ellie, which fits the ways me and my grandmother differ. 

Ellie, in English, means light and happiness. Fitting, seeming that I am genuinely happy. I never seem to get into deep holes of bad moods. And if I do, they don’t seem to last. Such as a thunderstorm before the sun comes out. Thunderstorms never last. 

My name is short. Only five letters. But I always get called different names. That five letter word gets shortened to two letters. El. Weird how Ellie is a nickname of other names but Ellie also has a nickname of its own. 

Many people go by Ellie for short. But for me, that's just my name. My full name. Not long or complicated. Short and sweet. Ellie

This piece is about my name and what is symbolizes to me. This shows the origin and the background behind my name.