My Name Essay | Teen Ink

My Name Essay

By clestina BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
clestina BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

My Name Writing

The name Connor means dog-lover in English. My ancestors were native American, and in Ojibwe tribal tongue it means strong-willed. Lots of people say I live up to my name in both languages, because it's true. Even though I am .8% Ojibwe.

All I know about my heritage is that my great great great grandpa was the chief of the tribe for a long time. We've gone up to the reservation at least once in my life to visit the grave, it's a different world up there. With no running water or electricity, it's as bare as it was in 1491.My grandmother loves her native american roots .“That's the way my people did it” Even though she never lived on the tribe, it shows. She is very against phones and machines and only eats organic foods.

My grandpa is quite the opposite; my grandma says it's because he's not native, but we all know that's not true. He is very reliant on his TV shows and his foot massagers, but doesnt like the occasional moving around. In his defense he was a CEO of roundys and is used to having everything done for him. He is also quite the golfer as he golfed with Goerge Bush when he was president, and won. 

Even though they are two different people they still manage to make it work. This all connects to my name because I have a mix of my grandma and grandpa, loving the outdoors; but also need electricity. In fact, most of my family is the same way with a mix of the modern day and days back on the tribe.

When in public my name is still very English, like my name ran away from the Ojibwe culture. No one really notices my name, and never really asks where it's from. Even sometimes I forget; even with my grandma reminding me every two seconds. But I am very happy with my name and wouldn't change it even a little bit.

Lots of people say I live up to my name in both languages, because it's true. Even though I am .8% Ojibwe, I am known for being very determined, and I love dogs.