Honoring the old and accepting the new | Teen Ink

Honoring the old and accepting the new

By Acul BRONZE, El Cerrito, California
Acul BRONZE, El Cerrito, California

I play on the Spurs FC soccer team located in El Cerrito, California. I started playing when I was eight years old and now I’m 14. Soccer has always been my favorite sport and my experience on the Spurs grew my passion for it, especially after I turned 11 and Coach Ted became our coach. I always walked into practice wondering what creative drills Coach Ted would be teaching that day. As I approached the field, I’d be met with a handshake and Coach saying, “How was your day, man?” and “Ready for the day?” That always got me going. I would stroll over and toss my bag by the wagon. I’d see Ronaldo, William, Miles, Steven, and Joaquin, the perfect group for “Rondo,” a keep-away warm-up exercise. Meanwhile, Joaquin, still on his phone, would joke, “Ew, you’re here.” While grabbing some cones, I’d yell “RONDO, RONDO,” because, as captain, I had the responsibility for leading warmups, stretching, organizing the team, and talking to the ref. By this past season, I had been captain for just about three years and loved every bit of it. Everyone would get up and follow me like bait—no one wanted to be last for RONDO because if you were last, you had to be in the middle and try to steal the ball. 

After a hard fought victory in the last week of the regular season, we had a party at Caden’s grandparents’ house, which had a pool and huge backyard. Smiles stretched across everyone’s faces, because we knew we were halfway to winning the title. Everyone was in the pool swimming, playing tag, diving, and relaxing. It was a lot of fun, but eventually we had to get to the coach assembly. We all gathered around and said something we appreciated about our coach and gave him a gift card. He continued by giving a nice speech and paying a compliment to each player. After that was over, it was pizza time. Everyone got a slice or two, and sat down next to each other. Ben walked over with two slices of pineapple on his pizza. “Pineapple doesn’t belong on pizza!” or “Nooo wayyy, brooo!” a few people commented. Some people decided to defend him. That developed into a debate. Then we talked about our next game on Sunday and the future for the team if we won the title.

We smoked that game, winning 6-1. We secured first place and we had soda and chips afterward to celebrate. This was special because, as a team, we started all the way down in the silver league and had kept practicing and practicing. Now, we had just won the NPL 2 title, something we hadn’t even known existed at the start. However, our season wasn’t over, as we still had the Davis tournament—three qualifying matches where the two best teams from each division moved on to the finals. 

The following weekend we drove to Davis and checked into the hotel we were all staying at together. This—getting a hotel, driving far, and playing teams from different areas—made me feel like we were the real deal. It was exciting. 

The Davis Tournament covered two days and we played four games, including against a team that fouled us really hard. During halftime of that game, we learned from one of our teammates that they used racial slurs. All of us were sweating hard, with angry expressions fixed on our faces. We supported each other and talked about what had happened. As captain, I told everyone to stay chill and use our anger to play better. Afterwards, we came back in the second half, more connected and stronger.

In the end, we made it to the finals after a close tie breaker. The team in the finals came all the way from Idaho and were very good. We lost 0-1, but played our hearts out. After grabbing our medals and shirts, we gathered around with Coach Ted. Most people still had their heads down about the loss, but I was already thinking about next season. 

Coach talked about the game and the effort, and people were still sad. Then his expression changed and his voice got softer. People looked up, seeming to notice too. He told us he was planning on leaving the team and moving on, and how we would have a new coach and new playing style. His words were like glass shattering. The mood in the circle went from somber to shocked. People's mouths dropped open and their eyes widened. Miles and Joaquin straightened, and their heads popped up. 

Some people asked questions like, “Who's going to be our next coach?” or “Where will you go next?” Questions were also running through my mind. I tried to imagine what the future would look like for our team. What will practice be like? Would the quality of the team go down? Would more people leave?

In the following weeks, the news came out that Timothy, Nathan, Matteo, and Ilan had left the team. Matteo and Ilan left to move onto other sports. However, Timothy and Nathan moved to other clubs. This brought up many thoughts: who would be our keeper and who would be our best goal scorer? No more carpooling with Ilan, no more amazing saves from Nathan, and no more great goals from Timothy.

At school, Joaquin and I sat down for math class. I knew we both wanted to discuss the team. I started the conversation by asking, “What do you think?” He replied with, “I don’t know man, I mean it feels like everyone is leaving.” We both knew that everyone wasn’t leaving but it really felt like it because this was the first time this team had experienced real change. Then, the question of where we would go next popped into both of our heads. We both talked about how good the team would be and if we should consider leaving too. “I wonder how practice will be?” I questioned. Joaquin responded by saying, “Probably not as good, but for now we just have to wait.” We both mentioned how we were upset that key players were leaving, but also how these players were friends too. After we talked, the question of what would come next was still floating above our heads.

Middle school ended and summer started. In the fall, I would be starting my freshman year at a much bigger school, leaving many faces behind that I had known for a long time. I was excited for summer, lots of fun camps and hanging out with friends. Middle school felt like my soccer team, people branching out to new places, going to different schools, and quitting or joining new clubs. People were moving on. 

Soccer tryouts for the fall season were different than ever before. So many new people and strange faces. This was something different for me—we had never had a tryout with so many new people. Tryouts used to have one or two new people there, but it was just like a regular practice. But this year, I saw fewer familiar faces. 

The coaches led and directed the first half of the tryout, with warmups and drills. However, going into scrimmages, not being as comfortable with my new team, and having to learn names and playing styles was very new for me. As captain, I tried to change that, and lead our team like the coaches, by meeting new people, trying new positions, communicating, and getting comfortable with my future teammates. I gave new players a chance to try new things and show their skills. 

At the end of the day, I’m still captain even with a new team. I’m still yelling out “Rondo” and leading the dynamic stretches. Still organizing everyone and greeting the coach at the start of every practice. 

So this I believe: Change can be sudden and sad, and everyone feels it differently. However, when change happens, you can take what you learned before and bring it to the new.

I am a rising high school freshman, who loves soccer, bacon, video games, and my dog. I was inspired to write this piece by the This I Believe essay contest.