The Time My Mom Broke Her Arm | Teen Ink

The Time My Mom Broke Her Arm

July 9, 2022
By Anonymous

It was an ordinary, sunny afternoon in the summer break of 2018, and my sister and I would have our favorite roasted pork ribs. I was finishing homework, and my sister was too. At around 5 PM, "RING RING..." my dad's cell phone rang loudly while he was cooking dinner. After answering, his expression suddenly became worried.

He timed the stove and was getting ready to leave. He told me the pork ribs were in the oven and to take care of my sister. I had no idea what was happening, but I couldn't shake the feeling that something terrible had happened.

At around six PM, a thunderstorm came. The sky was dark, and the aura in the house had gone quiet. Suddenly, the oven called out that the roasted pork ribs were ready to eat. I never had the chance to serve the hot ribs from the oven. I was extra careful taking out the pork rib since I knew Dad was anxious about something after seeing his face, and I didn't want him to worry more. After five minutes, my sister and I ate. The food wasn't as good as I remembered.

Being alone at home is scary. Every sound would take me by surprise. One time when the phone rang, I almost jumped from my seat. During those 4 hours, when I was alone with my sister, I was constantly sweating, my whole body kept shaking, and I was a little pale. When Dad got home around nine in the evening, he told us my mom had broken her arm. We were asked to pack some snacks and drinks and see her in the hospital.

We rushed to pack and rode in the car. My dad told us that my mom had broken her arm from falling off a ladder. In the car, I thought my mom would not be able to use her arm, making me sad! When we got to the hospital, I saw my mom sitting on the cold waiting chair. A strong cloth was holding up her arm. Even though I thought breaking an arm was painful, my mom looked peaceful. While looking at her arm, I imagined what kind of pain that would be and (add feeling here). The sudden pain in my arm petrified me. I almost wanted to scream but held it.

  After a while, a nurse called my mom to a small room, so my dad sent us home. My dad told us he had tried to go to another hospital closer to my mom's workplace, far from where we live. But the facilities were not so good and had a long waiting period. So, they decided to go to the hospital closer to home. After we got home, my dad thanked me for taking care of my sister and went back to the hospital to stay with Mom. At night, I slept in my bed, unable to fall asleep. I am thankful my mom wasn't hurt too bad, though I grew despondent since my mom couldn't be home.

  At four AM, my mom and Dad came home. I was unaware they came home since I was asleep. My dad was awake the whole time at the hospital. In total, my mom was at the hospital for 10 hours. However, she had to wear a cast for two months. In the morning, I heard terrifying news. Mom will stay home for the summer break, which means more homework. To conclude, NEVER do dangerous things when angry or sad, or it may lead to an accident.


The author's comments:

Hi, if you are reading this, good job! You have just earned the badge of reading for me! I have no idea why I wrote this. Don't ask...