The Tennis Court Oath | Teen Ink

The Tennis Court Oath

By gracieah3 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
gracieah3 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan

As I stand on the baseline, the echo of the score rings in my ears. I take a deep breath, hand raised, as the small yellow ball is thrown in the air. My racket hits the ball, I hear the racket pop, and I watch as the ball bounces into the correct box, a smile appearing on my face.  I’ve spent countless hours working and visualizing the ideal place for a tennis ball to hit the bright red courts. While it might not always be perfect, I take mental notes and remind myself what to critique. I continue taking deep breaths to calm myself down and reassure myself that I’m just playing for fun, but deep down I know I won’t be satisfied until I win, or at least push myself to the limit trying to. I set expectations to hold myself accountable for being the best version of myself that I can possibly be. These expectations range from being respectful to working hard to achieve my dreams. These guidelines help me motivate myself to strive for greatness and they remind me of my personal goals. One main expectation I set was to stop comparing myself to others and compare myself to the past version of me because that’s the best way to measure personal growth. 

My expectations lead me to two different places. One of them is very familiar and I feel like I’ve been there my entire life. I hear the birds chirping, I can smell the chlorine in the hot, humid air, and I feel the sun beaming down on my shoulders while the cool, bumpy concrete is beneath my feet. Once I plunge into the cold pool I feel the water surround my entire body while the air in my lungs tenses up and escapes through my nose. I close my eyes and glide through the water before the rush of adrenaline hits. Once I reach the surface I pull my body through the water with all of my strength while my legs are kicking to propel me forward. My expectation is to drop time and be faster than I was last time. Another place where I hold an expectation of hard work is a new place, a place where I feel a bit timid and awkward. I feel my tennis shoes scrape the concrete with each step while my arms feel heavy, almost like I’m dreading the embarrassment I will face while trying to learn. I love learning the correct way to swing a racket and place my feet before hitting the ball, but it’s new and not as easy as swimming. I feel the wind against my face while the chill of the air makes me shiver. The clouds block the sun, but the wind keeps howling. I see the bright red courts surrounded by a gray fence. This place became inviting to me, a place that I looked forward to going to, I even feeling disappointed when practices were canceled. I began to learn the correct technique and get better every day.

I stand 5 foot 2 behind the baseline ready to serve while the wind blows through my brown hair that’s tied up in a braid. I’m wearing my white skirt and my black tennis uniform shirt. I’m ready to hit the ball while my mind races through the countless techniques I’ve learned. When I’m at the pool I wear my green swimsuit that shows off my sculpted muscles that assist in diving into the water and pulling me forward. My muscles are proof of my hard word and dedication that are backed up by my expectations. They help me strive towards success while delivering a speedy serve or gliding over the water while swimming butterfly.

My expectations keep me in line and remind me to be myself. Life throws unexpected curveballs, but I have to learn to deal with them in an acceptable manner. These expectations are the lifesaving tube being thrown to save me from drowning in everyday dilemmas. Without these guidelines, I would be stranded with no morals. The way I carry myself means everything to me and these expectations follow me like a shadow, making sure that I’m the best version of myself every step of every day.

This memoir was an assignment given to me, but it became so much more. It made me fall in love with swimming and tennis all over again. Sports are a huge part of who I am so when I got to write about them and how they shaped my personality I knew exactly what to write.