Letter to the grown ups | Teen Ink

Letter to the grown ups

May 2, 2022
By aquaticfireflies SILVER, Florence, Alabama
aquaticfireflies SILVER, Florence, Alabama
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I remember when I was a child. a very young child. I enjoyed everything in life.
talking to people always: it didn't matter who. I would always go up and talk to them and ask their name, favorite color, and if they'd play with me or come swing. Bliss from every trip to the grocery store. Too much energy to contain: constantly moving. Never willing to sleep due to sheer excitement for the next day and fear I may sleep through something amazing.

I no longer remember how or when it ended. I began getting shy and fearful people wouldn't want to play with me. Though I was still young and still had hope.

Classmates would hurt me. I would do my same cheerful smile and ask the big question only for them to run away from me and tell me to leave them alone.

I remember I was called a crybaby. I would cry at the smallest of insults. i was beginning to lose my hope. my childhood.

I remember losing myself in sixth grade. No one spoke to me unless to say was fat, a know it all, annoying, or that I never knew when to shut up. I eventually gave up on talking to others and making new friends.

I remember so many different forms of cruelty. being forced to sit on the floor since no one would allow me near them. hiding under tables to avoid legos being thrown at me. i remember constat migraines to the point of needing medication to subdue them.

I cried upon awakening nearly every morning. Even so, I kept this to myself for fear of no one helping, being further hurt by their words, or hurting others by letting them know my suffering.

I remember eventually admitting how miserable I was. This was very painful since I knew I loved being around friends but regardless couldn't make any

I remember finally asking for help only to get overused lines that only made my feelings worse than they were before. creating a feeling of loneliness so strong it was as if I were drowning in an ocean of tar.

"well, others have it worse ya know?" "Everyone goes through it wait it out"
"it's not that bad" "your just a kid you don't know what actual sadness it"
"your young and dramatic" "be more cheerful"

"Maybe you're not trying hard enough"

 

 

 

 

 

 

You know you are a hypocrite whos just making everything worse.


The author's comments:

This began as a writing prompt in my creative writing class. I Was Meant to write I remember and continue from there and I got lost in telling a story of my life in shortened form. I was trying to bet illustrate how for me at least as I grew I became less and less social and happy and why that happened. It was a mildly therapeutic way for me to say everything I've ever wanted to say to the people who hurt me.