protest | Teen Ink

protest

My mom has always been important to me. She taught me almost every life lesson I know, 

whether it be responsibility or equality. My house consists of just me, my mom, and my sister, equality has always been a big thing for us. My mom has always made sure we knew what it means and how to be an advocate.  - In the story, you never mentioned your mom. What did you and your mom do and the story and how did your mom lead this event to be important to you?

When we found out about a small group of people were protesting outside of a homophobic church, we immediately agreed to go. It took us a while but they were there every week so we had time. When we got there they already had a tent set up with donuts, drinks and pizza, sidewalk chalk, signs, and more. When we walked up we were immediately greeted by a tall, energetic, red-head girl. “Hey! We have food chalk, signs, ice cream, drinks, just make yourself comfortable!” Everybody was holding signs, talking, drawing, and generally having a good time, it was contagious. ( I love that you added little details to make it more interesting) The sidewalk was covered in “Love is love”, “Love wins'', and “Be proud”s (Described very well!!) People were drawing and there was even a dog in a rainbow outfit running around. 

The red-head girl came over again to let us know “the cops across the street are there to

make sure we’re staying legal so make sure to stay off the church property” so we did. It was hot, sunny, mid-morning and we had been walking around so I decided to get an ice cream cone. Walking up to the tent made me realize there were so many different types of people coming together to do good and I was proud to be part of it. Once I got my ice cream, I started talking to the only other person my age. “Hey, im emily, (Capitalize name)” I said with a smile, “im kate,” she returned the smile. “Do you wanna join me?” gesturing to the chalk. “Absolutely.”

We worked on drawing for a bit, it was an echoing rainbow heart with clouds around it, 

sparkles, and our names. It was so nice to be able to talk and have fun with someone new. Kate and I hung out for a bit, eating popsicles and talking. We even got cars to honk at our signs! There was another woman that my mom and I talked to, her name was Ashley, she seemed middle-aged, and brunette. She was telling us how they started the group, how they found out about the situation, how they found each other, how they organized it, and everything. It was so cool.

After a while, it got too hot and we decided to leave. I said bye to Kate, then Ashley, and

everyone else we talked to. On the way home, all we talked about how cool it was. The people, the food, the music, everything. And even though it was just a small event, it meant a lot to me. I’m also glad I got to experience it with my mom.