The Brass of the Trombone | Teen Ink

The Brass of the Trombone

Learning how to play an instrument is pretty difficult and takes a lot of time and practice. I chose the trombone as the instrument I should play. The trombone is a very fun instrument to learn how to play because it is much more different than all of the other instruments. Every time I get to play it in the marching band I get a sense of happiness. If I were to think about it long enough then I am able to pick out certain memories that I have associated with my trombone. 

Exhaustion flows through me as I haven’t had a water break in such a long time. The trombone isn’t getting any lighter and I can feel myself getting tired. Everything starts to fall closer to the ground. I keep going mostly because I have to but also for myself. Even though it is just a regular practice it is still very important since we don’t have much longer until the next football game.

As‌ ‌the‌ ‌brass‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌trombone‌ ‌glistens‌ ‌and‌ ‌shines‌ ‌the‌ ‌morning‌ ‌sunlight‌ ‌onto‌ ‌my‌ ‌face‌ ‌it‌ ‌is‌ ‌hard‌ ‌to‌ ‌see‌ ‌what‌ ‌is‌ ‌going‌ ‌on.‌ ‌The‌ ‌trombone‌ ‌is‌ ‌getting‌ ‌heavier‌ ‌to‌ ‌carry‌ ‌every‌ ‌single‌ ‌step.‌ ‌My‌ ‌posture‌ ‌starts‌ ‌to‌ ‌fall‌ ‌and‌ ‌worsen‌ ‌but‌ ‌I‌ ‌had‌ ‌to‌ ‌quickly‌ ‌fix‌ ‌it‌ ‌even‌ ‌if‌ ‌it‌ ‌does‌ ‌hurt.‌ ‌The‌ ‌music‌ ‌is‌‌ getting‌ ‌harder‌ ‌to‌ ‌read‌ ‌the‌ ‌longer‌ ‌we‌ ‌go‌ ‌on.‌ ‌Finally‌, ‌I‌ ‌heard‌ ‌the‌ ‌whistle-stop ‌and‌ ‌to‌ ‌get‌ ‌some‌ ‌water‌ ‌continuing‌ ‌the‌ ‌practice‌ ‌was‌ ‌a‌ ‌lot‌ ‌easier‌ ‌now‌ ‌that‌ ‌I‌ ‌finally‌ ‌got‌ ‌water.‌ Thankfully I only have one day left until the first game we have to perform at.

The clear night’s sky flies above as the marching band is about to start their performance. So many stars are visible as there is not a cloud in sight. Finally in full uniform, I look around and see how good everything looks. With the shining of the instruments to the uniforms, and the lights of the stadium bouncing off of the instruments and the hats.  The stadium lights blind me as I wait for the whistle to be blown to start our performance. Nerves flow through my body as it is our first performance and I don’t want to mess it up. Looking down at the painted grass even though I am wearing shoes it's as if I can feel the grass on my feet. I look up seeing that there are no clouds in sight and it is pitch black. Realizing that we are about to start I pay more attention to what is going on. The nerves are starting to get much worse as we actually start.

I have only known him for 2-3 years and he is one of the funniest people that I know. He is a great person to be around especially when we are at marching band practice. He has gotten me to a position where I am comfortable with different people and I wouldn’t be where I am without him. Without him, I would’ve quit the marching band after freshman year. He has given me great happiness with a great group of people.

The trombone is very important to me because it has so many memories. If I had never decided to pick the trombone, then I would be a completely different person. Even though I am not the best at playing it I am still able to have fun with the people around me. I hope that for my future I can hold onto these memories and still be able to play the trombone even after high school. The trombone affects me in such a positive way that I am able to look forward to marching band practice and going to football games.