Saturday Afternoon at the Park | Teen Ink

Saturday Afternoon at the Park

March 24, 2021
By EmmaTobias BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
EmmaTobias BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

    It was a sunny Saturday morning. My sister and I woke up to the smell of my nana's cinnamon rolls and the smell of my papas cheesy scrambled eggs. I knew today was going to be great. Last night my papa and I planned out what we would do tomorrow. 
    “Oh, oh can you take me and Abby to the park after Nana leaves!” I said, looking into his big clear blue eyes and jumping up and down on the leather couch.  
    My sister ran into the living room. "What are you guys talking about?” She said as if she was trying to act like she didn’t know. 
    I knew she was spying on us; she knew exactly what we were doing. I of course played along with her.                                                                                                                        “Well, you know we are going to the park and going to get ice cream. But you aren't invited.” I gave her a Smirk and then quickly turned my head to my papa. My papa had a funny looking round head and a tiny beard. That was the only hair on his head because he had no hair; he was bald 
    “Abby we are going to the park together so don’t act like that or else I won't take you guys.” He said in a stern voice grabbing the scrambled egg pan and dishing us up.                       During breakfast my nana ran out of the house because she was going to be late for the hospital. Usually, she would leave at 5 in the morning but today she had time to make us breakfast. 
     “Bye guys love you!” My nana yelled halfway out the door. She had on her Nurse shoes that were black and wore the best jewelry.  
     “Bye nana!” my papa imitated us as if we were saying bye.  
      During breakfast my papa collected the stale bread that we would let sit out overnight so than we could go feed the ducks. My papa loved doing this with us. We would go out onto the canal and feed the fish and turtles. Sometimes if we were lucky, we would feed the ducks that would come by.  
      After breakfast Abby and I would go to get dressed and my papa would change his shirt. My papa lived in Salt Life; he loved the brand. He would have to change his shirt about 3 times a day because of how much he sweated. Then after we changed, we would open the garage to grab our roller skates. The smell of cigarettes would fill the air. This was because every night he would go out in the garage and have cigarettes and drink beer with all his neighbors. I had to hold my breath.  
We hopped in his big, tall red shiny RAM truck. There was only one row, so I had to sit in the middle chair. My sister and I loved roller skates so he would grab them and put them in the trunk. I was fine in the middle row squished because it was only 5 minutes away. He would roll down the windows and we would listen to his loud obnoxious music. Thank God it was only a 5-minute drive to the park. He would drive fast and honk at all the neighbors to say hi. When we got there, I would quickly try and get out. I had to be careful where to put my feet because one misplacement and your whole foot is inside the side steps. My papa would grab our skates and find a spot in the shade to sit under and watch us. 
     “Have fun I will be over here.” I said, pointing at the bench in the shade that was under a big tree I would climb. I could tell he was so tired and wanted to smoke but Nana told him not to in front of us. He would always use the excuse I am using the bathroom just to smoke. Abby and I knew what he was doing but never said anything. We didn’t want him to feel bad even though we knew it was so bad for you. I always tried talking to him about it saying, “you could die from it.” This is what I learned in school. I was always worried for him and his smoking and alcohol addiction, but I had to realize I can't control his unhealthy habits only he and God can. 
       I loved this park so much, it was mainly because the sidewalks were so smooth, it was like butter and there were no bumps. After we would ride for a few minutes, we would come back to Papa and show him what we could do with our skates.  
       “Look what I can do!” Abby said going in and out with her skates. We loved showing off to our papa tricks we could do. 
       “Well, I can do better! Look Papa look!” I said trying to get his attention giving Abby a look. I skated backwards doing an in-out motion with my feet. The wind in my hair and the warmth of the sun were hitting me. I was so thankful for having time to spend with my Papa.  
       “Who do you think did the best Papa?” we asked together. Deep down we knew he would never answer he would just say “Both of you! I can't pick.” 
       “You guys both did so good! O this is hard, both of you win!” he said, standing up. I saw he was wearing chunky Nike shoes with high Nike socks. He had like 4 pairs of the same shoes. He loved to wear socks. He went through 6 a day.  
        After we would keep going around and around the smooth sidewalk that goes around the park. I would skate up to him, sit by him, and take off our roller blades. We would talk about my golf and about my parents and random stuff. He was so entertaining and would make you laugh so much. One of my favorite things was all the funny faces he could make. He would have one eyebrow go up and one side of his lip go down. I always tried to do it but could never.  
       “I'm tired, can we go home?” Abby said, taking off her roller blades. 
       “My hands hurt. It's from the monkey bar, I think. They really hurt.” I said, looking down at my hands and looking back up at him.  
       “Ok we will go, and when we get home Nana got you guys ice pops so we will eat them. He said and got up off the bench.  
We all walked to the truck and went home with the windows down.  
        “Can we go in the pool after we have ice pops?” I said, hoping he would say yes. It was a perfect day to go to the pool and I imagined the sun hitting the blue pool water.  
       “Yes, you guys can do that. Just make sure you get towels. I will be in the garage. Nana cleaned your clothes so get the out of the dryer before you guys go in.” 
        “Ok we will, Thank you!” Me and Abby said at the same time we looked at each other knowing he was going to go smoke in the garage and invite some of his neighbors over.                   He turned on his favorite type of music and rolled the windows down; I took in the fresh air and was thankful for the time we all spent together.  


The author's comments:

this is a memoir about my papa that died form brain cancer 2 years ago from smoking