The New Student | Teen Ink

The New Student

By ainaching BRONZE, San Mateo, California
ainaching BRONZE, San Mateo, California

During the first semester of sixth grade, a new student in my first period class came and was introduced to us by our teacher.  Her name was Candy she was quiet, she had long black hair, and she had little dots on her face. During passing period, while I was walking to my seventh period class, Candy was walking ahead of me. She turned around and asked, “What’s your name?” 

“Oh I know you, you are the new student. My name is Christiana,” I said. 

“No, your name is Puppy.” 

I was confused why she called me Puppy, I thought that was rude or maybe she was just joking and fooling around because it was her first day. After that, she started following me everywhere I go. She went  with me to the bathroom, she took me  to my classes and even waited for me outside of my class. Many people did not like her because they said she was very annoying, weird, a copycat and immature. Me and Candy became close friends. I was annoyed with her throughout the year because she can be annoying, just like everyone else told me. Sometimes she would playfully steal my binder, pencil or other things from me in class, everytime I took out stuff from my backpack and everytime I told her to give it back she would  laugh and reply  back with a “No, I’ll give it to you later” and it always irritated me, but at the end she ended up giving it back to me sooner.  Even though I was irritated because of her,  she was always there for me. She did  my schoolworks for me and she carried all my textbooks and my other things for me, especially when I went to the bathroom. I was glad that she helped me in many different ways.  We were always together, we always hugged and I also sat on her lap multiple times in class. People often came up to me and asked me about her and if we were in a serious relationship, and  they also asked me why I hang out with her and that I should not do that. When we were in seventh grade we attended a dance with one of our friends. Candy,  who was now my friend cried in the middle of the dance because she saw me and our other friend held hands  and danced together. Everyone came up to me and told me that she wanted me to come to her, when I did she was still crying hard, she gave me a hug and told me to stop dancing and holding hands with our friend and she also told me how she wanted to go home. I did not know what to do, so I told her to just come and dance with us, but she refused.While I was dancing, someone told me that Candy  went to the same elementary school as her and that she drove the whole school like a mental hospital.  A few hours before the end of the dance me and our friend  asked her again if she would be okay to dance with us, she finally agreed. We have always been together,  we hang out everyday at lunch, we spent time together after school and we also celebrated each other’s birthdays together since the day we met.  We  graduated together and I remember her giving me a sweet warm hug on the last day of school in eighth grade. Our friendship remained strong and we are still friends until now that we are in high school together we also attend  the same community college. People thought we were the cutest couple that time and someone even posted it on social media, and said that we were one of the best couples in our middle school. Our actions with one another gave people the idea that we were  in a romantic relationship, which made them think that I was a lesbian. Now I understand how people could make wrong assumptions towards others based on what their eyes see. 

This piece is about a sixth grader who became close friends with a new student. This new student would always follow her everywhere, tease her, annoy her, steal her things jokingly, and be very nice to her, until they became friends. They are very close that they hold hands, hangout together, and sit on each other's laps.  Because of their closeness, other students at school would always assume that they are a couple and that she is a lesbian