Sydney | Teen Ink

Sydney

My name is Sydney. S - Y - D - N - E - Y. Not Sidney with an ‘i” or “Cindy”. Whenever I go to Starbucks, they always assume that it’s Sidney or “Cindy”. 

My mom and my dad chose Sydney because of a TV show called Alias, and the main character's name was Sydney Bristow. The show was about an international spy for a secret branch of the CIA.  And they also just liked the name Sydney.

Sydney in Hebrew means “fisher of truth”. I tend to want to know the full story about everything before I judge or make my decision.  My name is also the largest city in Australia named after Lord Sydney. The Harbor in Australia is overfilled with boats in the clear blue water. I am a busy person juggling school work and swimming and jobs.

My name reminds me of the color blue. The waves crashing on a rocky coast kind of blue. When the waves crash against the rocks in a storm, I get mad or sad and energetic, but then on a nice sunny day, when the waves are calm, I am kind and loving.

Some people call me Sydney. Other people call me Syd. But my uncle calls me squid. I don’t really care what people call me. Just as long as it’s not “Cindy”. 

The girl named Sydney is elegant because she is kind and loving, but also energetic because she knows how to have fun. Sydney is Washingtonious because she always keeps her promise. I am this kind of a Sydney because I am honest with all of my friends and family and they trust me to keep their promises.

My life is filled with crazy experiences, going to concerts and screaming the songs of my favorite artist’s, going on vacations and running and jumping in the salty ocean, going on adventures with my friends and spending the day on the lake. And there’s many more to come because I've made it my goal to live my life to the fullest. I spend every day like it’s my last day.