An Epidemic | Teen Ink

An Epidemic

By sando1s BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
sando1s BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

We are a rare species that you might come across once in your lifetime if you're lucky. Depending on the occasion, you can either find us deep in the corner lurking by, waiting for someone’s presence to attach to or you may find us doing random acts of kindness to be rewarded of others smiles. This rare species is liked by many people but often underappreciated and taken advantage of. Generally, people prey on them and feed off them, knowing that they will always come back gifting second chances. We can act parasitic almost, feeding off the emotions of one another and their energy. Typically, if you don’t know us, we are hard to spot in a crowd because we blend in with others, but we stay away from being the center of attention or else we feel violated. Exposed. But don’t worry, we won’t bite. We fear disapproval and being the “bad guy” in situations, even though we can easily be labeled as one, with one wrong, sudden movement. Were easy going but when we've had enough, when it’s the one time to defend ourselves, were beaten down and told we can’t be mad. We can’t act that way, it’s absurd. Our peers send us on a limitless trip called “guilt”, persuading us that we’re in the wrong and it’s time to apologize. We carry on the routines of “I’m sorry” and off we go like a solemn dog that was just scolded. There we lay, hurt, but not physically. Alone, yet surrounded by people who love us. Scenarios replaying throughout our mind, wishing we could go back and not say anything at all. Thinking we should've just kept to our self. We wonder when it’s going to be our turn. When will someone ask how we are? But it won’t happen. It’s a vicious cycle in our generation of millennials. Lacking common sense and only caring about themselves. An epidemic, in which we don’t have a cure for. We are the rare cases of millennials. The ones too mature for their age and perhaps born in the wrong generation. I am one of those, but in my life, I wouldn’t change a thing. Because you should “never regret being a good person, to the wrong people. Your behavior says everything about you, and their behavior says enough about them” - Anonymous.

I wrote this piece for my senior memior project. We were encouraged to be honest and make the writings more than a piece of paper with words. Once I started writing, the words came naturally, as if this was something I have been wanting to get off of my chest for so long. There is so many people like this that feel as if they don't have a voice, and I hope this reaches them to know that there are others just like them.