A Sense of Acceptance | Teen Ink

A Sense of Acceptance

November 26, 2019
By rainakratz BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
rainakratz BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I was sitting at the snack table with all my little campers, waiting to be served our pretzels and apple juice for a snack. The campers, around the ages of five and six were talking with each other, while I was zoning out. Of course I smiled occasionally, but my mind was focused on how hungry I was, and how delicious the snack was going to taste. While letting the voices of the children drift over me, all of a sudden I was snapped out of my daze when I heard one of the campers Alex, “I have light colored skin and so does her and so does he,” while pointing at some of the other children around the table. Oh no, I thought to myself, Am I going to have to say something. “But Dominic has dark skin,” observed Alex. My gaze fell to Dominic. He didn’t seem to be bothered by Alex’s observation, instead a grin spread across his face. “Yes I do have darker skin,” Dominic exclaimed with excitement and enthusiasm. “Miss Raina, why does Dominic have darker skin than the rest of us?” inquired Alex innocently. All the children who were sitting at the table now had their attention focused on me, awaiting my response. I drew in a breath and let out my response, “Well that’s how God created him.” Alex smiled, “Yes it is!” he pauses and proceeds, “And we all love him just the way he is, and God loves him too!” as he says this he wraps Dominic into a big hug. Stunned from the loving response of Alex, I bowed my head for our pre-snack prayer. 


As I recited the prayer I thought to myself, If everyone had that much acceptance as Alex and the other children did for Dominic, then the world we live in would have so much more love. If a child could be accepting why can’t an adult be? It is ironic that a child who doesn’t know much can understand that despite our physical differences, we are all human. Yet some adults can’t wrap their head around that thought.


I carry this memory with me to remind myself to be accepting and put a little love back into the world that we all share. 


The author's comments:

This piece was inspired by the chapter, "A Sense of Wonder" in "Brain Rules" by John Medina.