The Appendix Scare | Teen Ink

The Appendix Scare

There I was, sitting on the floor, listening to my mom repeatedly throwing up and crying on the other side of the bathroom door. My brothers and I had no idea what was going on, but we did know that it had to be serious. We knew it had to be serious because of the noises she was making and the pain on her face before she shut the bathroom door. We called my grandma and told her everything that was happening. Mimi told us to call the ambulance if my mom was really in as much pain as we thought she was. We were very scared that there was something wrong. I wanted to comfort my mom, but she had the door closed and she did not want us to see her in that condition. I asked my mom if we should call the ambulance and she yelled back, “yes!”.
We heard the loud sirens of the ambulance getting closer to our neighborhood. Within minutes the ambulance arrived at our house. The paramedics examined her for a few minutes before they carried her out of the house on a bright yellow stretcher. My grandma got to our home shortly after my mom was taken away. When I saw Mimi pull up, I had an amazing feeling of relief. She said that we should stay at the house for the night and not go to the hospital until tomorrow morning because of how late it already was. We went back inside and I somehow managed to fall asleep. The next morning Mimi woke my other siblings and I up very early. She had made us a delicious breakfast which was very comforting. We headed over to the hospital when we were finished eating.
When we finally got to my mom’s hospital room, it was dimly lit and comfortable. My brothers and I gave her huge hugs and told her how much we loved her. She looked exhausted, but happy to see us and but she looked a lot better than she had the night before. She told us that she had surgery that morning to take her appendix out and they caught it just in time. She could not show us the incisions they made to perform the surgery because they were bandaged, but her stomach was really swollen.
My mom had to stay in the hospital for a few days. When she was finally released, I had never seen her so happy to be home. We had to take care of her while she was healing but we did not mind because she always takes such good care of us. Those couple of days really put life in perspective for me and taught me how quickly things can change.

This piece is about something scary that happened to my mom and i really wanted to right about it.