What I gained, and still carry | Teen Ink

What I gained, and still carry

It was a chilly December evening. The moon glimmered off the white blanket that lay atop the lawns and streets outside. Sparkles were beaming every way you look. Outside in the cold, motionless tundra, there was a large window leaking warm light out into the front yard. Complete peace from outside, but extravagant celebrations inside.

Finally, my 15th birthday. Both sides of my family were over to visit. All of us were completely stuffed from supper, but everyone always makes room for cake. The cake had two tiers. Each was topped with blue fondant and had white polka dots pressed on. Cutting in, the cake has a pastel pink color. Taking a bite, a sweet strawberry flavor hits your tongue. Everyone enjoyed and I was trying to keep myself from jumping out of my chair. After everyone had finished up, we migrated from the kitchen into the festive, christmas lit living room. 

Walking into the room, you feel the warm, fuzzy carpet slide against your feet. The fireplace is bright and the blaze shines out shades of auburn into the living space. The huge Christmas tree is scattered with ornaments of all colors, shapes, and sizes. Lights twinkle from all angles and a comforting feeling envelops you like a tight hug. Holiday tunes echo through the room as do giggles and conversation. 

Everyone had their eyes on me with a bright smile, like I was a zoo animal in their exhibit. I picked up a present, a small blue box, because the small presents are always the best. The morsel was topped with a gleaming, gold bow. I deliberately unwrapped the tiny vessel and popped open the top. Inside was a shiny, silver ring.

The ring was small, and fit my finger not too tight and not too loose. The ring consists of two pieces mended together into a swirl like pattern. On each piece is tiny, intricate designs. They look as if they were carved into the precious metal with much care. A smile came to my face, my grandma knows exactly my taste. 

She sits in the same, worn down wooden chair. Short hair shapes her face with all different hues of gray. She wears silver frames that look as if wires have been bent into a circular shape. Presents surround her. She doesn't like getting so many gifts. She is the type of person to give and give and give, but never expect anything back. Her eyes are bright with joy, and you will never see my grandma without a smile on her face. 

I carry this ring with me to remind me of my grandma, all she does for me, and how she inspires me. My grandma always encourages me to do my best and tells me to follow my heart. She wants to see me succeed and please myself while doing it. She always tells me she can’t wait to see me do great things, and it encourages me to do my best. Glancing at the silver masterpiece reminds me of all our fun adventures and the happiness and joy she brings to my life. I could never thank her enough for all she does for me.