Saint Therese of Lisieux | Teen Ink

Saint Therese of Lisieux

Saint Therese of Lisieux was born in Alencon, France on January 2, 1873. She was baptized on January 4, 1873, at the Church of Notre Dame. Therese became very sick which worried the family because 4 other Martin children had died after birth. Therese was on the verge of death until a lady named Mrs. Taille nursed her because Mrs. Martin could not give her the milk she needed. She was a very stubborn child and never gave in to anything once she had given her answer but as her mom said: “she has a heart of gold”. Therese had blond curls, merry gray eyes, and a constant smile. Her father nicknamed her ‘little queen’ and Therese was the darling of the family especially to him.  Her mom died from breast cancer when she was 4 in half so her sixteen-year-old sister, Celine, acted as her mother. She had turned to the Virgin Mary as a source of comfort and reassurance. Ever since she was a little girl she had wanted to become a saint. Saint Therese of Lisieux died after a short life at the age of 24 in obscurity. After she had only served 10 years as a cloistered Carmelite for no more than 10 years. She was very ill and continued to work without telling anyone. Eventually, her illness became so bad everyone knew about it. But her wish came true, even though she never went on missions, did not find a religious order, never performed great works, and the only book of hers that was published after her death, was a brief edited version of her journal called "Story of a Soul"  within 28 years of her death, the public demand was so great that she was canonized. She was canonized by Pope Pius XI in 1925 and she was also the youngest person to be designated a doctor of the church. Her patron saint name is St. Teresa of the Child Jesus. Saint Therese of Lisieux is a very well recognized saint with that others looks to. An inspiring quote of hers to me is “Remember that nothing is too small in the eyes of God. Do all that you do with love.” To me, this quote inspires others because it says that nothing is too small as long as your heart is big. St. Terese was one of the most inspiring saints that lived. She was a part of the Discalced Carmelites created by St. Teresa of Avila. St. Terese of the Child Jesus is the patron saint of Russia and missionaries because she had a dream about being a missionary in Russia. That proves that you don't have to be physically connected to the place or thing that you are the patron saint of.

This piece is about a saint that I find very influential, Saint Therese of Lisieux.