UNDERSTANDING WHY | Teen Ink

UNDERSTANDING WHY

I learned about Equality when I was in 5th Grade At Whidby Elementary. I was a Cheerleader And I Got Bullied By A lot Of Kids Because I Was Skinny And The Only Black Cheerleader. The Non-Colored Kids Picked On Me, Called Me Dirty, They Blamed Me For All The Trouble They Did At School. One Day They Exposed A 4th Grader Showed All Her Pictures On Instagram Later That Day It Got Back To The Principle And They Blamed It On Me She Believed Them And Expelled Me From School. 2 Weeks Later They Called My Mama And Asked Her For Me And Her To Come In For A Meeting ( This Was After The Investigation With HPD ). We Went In The Next Monday Had A Meeting With The Principle The Girls Who Posted It And The Girl Who Got Exposed. The Police Talked To Us And We Had All Got An Understanding That The Girls Lied On Me Because They Didn’t Like Me And Also They Say I Joined The Cheerleading Team And They Thought I Was Gone Be Mean To Them Just Because I Was Black And They Told The Principle And Police That All Black People Act The Same They Are Crazy And Don’t Know How To Act. The police Broke It Down To Them All Colored People Aren’t like That He Asked Them Don’t You See Colored People Working In Business Offices or As A Police Officer Even In Banks All Black People Don’t Steal And Act Crazy Some People Are Raised In The Hood And Ghetto But They Want More In Life Than Seeing Grown Men Selling Drugs or Kids Getting Killed Behind Dumb Reasons They Wanna See Their Parents Proud And See A College And A Real Big Career That They Want To Accomplish She Told Them Everyone Is Equal In The State Of Law White People, Mexican People And Etc. Just In Y’all White People Eyes, We See That All Black People Are Like That, That Live In The Hood Oh They Ghetto No Everybody Is Not Hood And Ratchet And Ghetto. The Police Officer Said Equality Is Something We Don’t Learn In School Or From Our Parents In The Rich Neighborhoods. I Had To Learn That All Black People Aren’t Ghetto And All White People Aren’t Rich We Are The Same We Just Have Different Skin Colors. The Police Officer Took The Girls To Juvenile Just For Posting The Pictures. The Next Week We Went To School The Girls Apologized To Me And The Girl They Exposed And Now They Hang Around More Colored People Because They Say We Are Really Cool. Black People Are Treated Different Because Of How We Are Perceived To Act, How We Look, And How our Financial Situations Are.

SOMEONE JUDGE YOU BY THE COLOR OF YOUR SKIN AND THE REALLY DONT KNOW HOW YOU ARE.