how i found out about equality | Teen Ink

how i found out about equality

April 26, 2019
By SAMANTHADIGGS BRONZE, Houston, Texas
SAMANTHADIGGS BRONZE, Houston, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

 when I was 7 years old. My mother was walking down the street. My mother was strolling her big wide hips from side to side while chewing her extra minty gum. I was walking right beside her when one of my neighbors were walking their big brown fuzzy dogs by the name of skittles and max. while we were walking pass each other I noticed that they were turning their heads right with us. At first I thought maybe its just me but then my mother noticed it also so I knew I wasn’t crazy. then without even asking questions my mother tells me that it’s because the color of my skin. I knew that I was adopted and that my mother was African American with big beautiful lips and pretty brown eyes, meanwhile I was Caucasian with thin lips and bright sky blue eyes. Her hair was kinky and nappy, meanwhile mine was smooth, straight, and golden.

                               I never really minded until this day but fortunately it didn’t really bother me, since I had only been with her since I was 3 months old. For some odd reason the ladies decided to turn around facing me and my mother, momma didn’t notice though. I looked to see what was about to happen, then out of the thin air this strange, pale looking, fragile woman yells out ‘’nigger lover’’. My eyes grew wide and my mouth dropped to the floor, for I had been taught for most of my life that that was a bad word. And I had seen in almost every movie how that word never has a positive outcome. My mother stops in her tracks as if she had just seen a ghost. I knew to run back into my house knowing that it was about to be some words said that my ears were to young to listen to.

                                 My mother then began to fix her lips and let out a beast that has been growing inside of her since the day I met her. My mother was never a push over type of person,  had always been known for speaking up and expressing how she feels with any one.i felt sorry for this poor lady. My mother then told me not to feel bad for her, because this woman deserved every word she got. I agreed with my mother because se was correct. The lady was never to be seen again but I still remember it to this day. The woman had said something really harsh, and a term that has a lot of power in it. Thing is she said those offensive words all because the color of my skin didn’t quite match my mothers.

                               However, The world is more accepting now days but there are still more out there with this hatred in their hearts and we need to get through to them. Not only for the benefits of themselves but also so that no other child has to go through this traumatizing event or anything worse. This day has brought me through so much and me and my mother still bring it up sometimes. Only difference is its more of a laughter story than an angry one. Surprisingly, I’m glad I went through this because it has made me who I am and also it has evolved me in various ways throughout the years.


The author's comments:

my name is samantha diggs