1,806 Miles | Teen Ink

1,806 Miles

By hmmaynard20 BRONZE, White Lake, Michigan
hmmaynard20 BRONZE, White Lake, Michigan

We often hear the term “everything happens for a reason,” but in some situations it can be hard for us to look past our hardship, and trust that even hard times have purpose. For me, it took a real life experience to prove my belief that everything happens for a reason. It was on an island 1,806 miles from home, off the Carribean coast. Through the days in my home away from home, I began to see life in a different light. I was there to provide help for others, but little did I know I would personally gain more from the trip than I felt that I gave.

***

Finally, our two hour canter ride came to a halt in a small rural village, blazing in hot red dirt grounds and thick dusty air. I wiped the dripping sweat off my face as I awoke from my nap during the ride, doing anything to escape the sick feeling overwhelming my stomach. I walked over to the opposite side of the road, where small mud and brick houses lined the chalky roads, with people standing around everywhere. I decided I would put myself out there and go interact with some adults who didn't speak a lick of English. Luckily I knew some French. I started to interact with a woman, her baggy under eyes mesmerized me. There was hurt and longing in her eyes, so I tried to focus on her words instead. She tightly gripped my hand and cried to me, telling me how hungry she was. I had no idea what to do, my heart broke, and I froze. I told her I would try my best to get her food, and I’d be back shortly.

They called us to lunch, and as soon as I was enclosed inside of the shaded mud church I sat down on a bench and began to weep. I cried until my eyes were puffy and I couldn't breathe due to hyperventilation. A million and one thoughts encompassed my mind. Why is my life so privileged while hers is not? What did I do to deserve to be given the gift of luck? How can I complain about being starving when food is always accessible to me? I was depressed, and I had no solutions.

The leader of the trip shortly saw me, and asked what was wrong, I told him, and he told me he loved that my heart hurt, because it meant that I would help create change. He said to wait it out, and purpose would prevail. So, I waited it out.

As the day went on, I fed a tiny little girl, who looked to be about three. I fed her rice and beans and shrimp, (trying to force her to eat as much shrimp as possible to get some meat on her bones). When she was finished, she still had some food leftover, so I told her to take it home for later. We were about to leave for the day, so I walked outside over to the canter, and something across the road caught my eye. I looked over, to see the little girl I was feeding, Faidtlene was her name, carrying her extra food over to her family. She sat down and handed the food to her mom. The lady thanked her, and scarfed down the leftovers. Her mom just happened to be the lady who begged me for food the same morning.

I think about this day a lot. It still leaves me in awe. A few things have stuck close beside me since this day. My first takeaway was to trust that there is always an underlying reason for every moment in life, whether it is negative or positive. After coming home from the trip, I kept seeing unusually placed reminders that everything happens for a reason. It was as if they were just for me.

I walked into a restaurant two days after coming home, and there was a huge quote plastered on the wall from Marilyn Monroe that read “Everything happens for a reason… sometimes good things fall apart so better things can come together.”  I wasn’t baffled by the fact that this theme kept appearing in my life, but it brought a sense of calmness to my life that I could refrain from worrying, because everything was already planned out despite unnecessary worry.

I saw how the things that I take for granted on a daily basis are things that other people pray constantly to receive. Whether it is medical care, proper nutrition, heat, a roof over my head, an education, loved ones- the list never ends, because the things we consider basic rights in America are some people's wildest dreams.

Lastly,  it taught me the value of helping others, and how it is a gift that keeps on giving. I watched people in this country who were dying, starving, and sick, yet they shared what they had, because they valued each other even if it meant sacrificing their own personal needs.
I want to live like this.

I wish to live in a country where community is stronger than individualism, where the meaning of family stretches far beyond blood ties. It takes small actions to create a butterfly effect, and by taking small steps, you can make a big impact.

As cliche as it sounds, invite the kid to sit with you that sits alone at lunch, they need a friend too. Take a day of challenging yourself to only talk positively about others. Volunteer at an organization close to home. Get involved in your community. Check up on your neighbors. You can make an impact, whether you're 1,806 miles from home or not.

This piece was from my travels to Haiti, on a short term mission trip in April of 2018. I have a passion for travel, and this trip changed my life! This is just one of the millions of memories from the trip and the amazing things God did that week in Haiti! I hope this story moves you!