My Trip | Teen Ink

My Trip

October 29, 2018
By blake2002 BRONZE, Battlecreek, Michigan
blake2002 BRONZE, Battlecreek, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In the summer of 2015 my family and I drove down to Tennessee to see my great grandparents. We drove twelve hours to hang out for a week. While we were down there we did many things that were pretty cool.

Before we went down we had to rent a car, and my parents loved it. It was a Nissan  and we drove it down to Tennessee. Although I mostly slept on the way there, still saw some good things. After we got there we stayed at my uncle johns house. He has a nice little house next to some mountain with some land. It was small but it still fit us all. And when we weren't doing anything we would go up in the mountains behind his house to explore his land.

When we weren't at his house we were out exploring the mountains in Tennessee. Just like when we went to try and see what is called The Blue Hole. The Blue Hole is supposedly about a two mile hike from the start. We have never made it all the way to it because we always stop and look at something new.When we started to walk the trail we found an old coal mine. This mine was used back in early 1900, I think. This mine used to be blocked off though, because four or five people have gotten lost or missing after trying to explore the mine. But now the mine is open because about fifty foot after the entrance the mine had caved in; so they declared it “safe’. This little area had a bunch of coal still on the walls and ground.

When we walked into the mine my stepmom cried because a bat flew around and scared her; she made such a loud noise that I thought something actually bad happened. But other than some bat poop on her shoe nothing.

After Continuing on the trail we started walking next to the river and this was one of the most beautiful sights you could ever see. There were giant rocks everywhere, making little ponds with waterfalls. And the water was so clear you could see the little pebbles on the bottom that were at least eight feet under. This place even had a natural water slides in the river. If the water wasn't so cold then I would have totally jumped in.

But instead we climbed the rocks along side it. Due to the amount of people on the trail this seemed like a better way. And it was a good idea other than I rolled my ankle and it swelled so it wouldn't fit in my shoe. And my step sister twisted hers too but she stepped in a hole, then stepped on her foot, and lastly turned her foot. Why she did that I don't know. All I did was step on my foot sideways. It was a good thing we were in the woods because I found a perfect walking stick, which helped with the foot.

After we were walking through the rocks and climbing. We found a way back to the trail. Sure it was a heck of a climb up but it was a way back. So, we took it and started walking on the trail again, until we saw the time. We had about a half hour to get back to the house. So we had to hustle back down the trail. Supposedly we were about a half mile from the blue hole.


The author's comments:

I went to see my great grandparents