The Airport | Teen Ink

The Airport

October 23, 2018
By ducksarecool12345678910 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
ducksarecool12345678910 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I leaned forward to open my car door and fell forward as the door was being opened for me by a man in a black uniform.  As he grabbed my purse out of my hand, he placed his hand floating in the air waiting for me to grab it.  I held my hand out, feeling like a princess, as I stepped down out of the car.  In one split second, I went to me feeling like a princess to me standing out in front of the place I feared the most: the airport.  Boom! Get out of the way! Honk honk! Move! Hurry up! Zoom!

 I hated this place so much it made me nervous.  I stood there for a long five minutes as anxious as I could be while our bags were being thrown onto a cart.  These next two hours are going to be the longest two hours of my life.  What if I get in someone’s way? What if I get lost? What if I forget my name, my age, or my birthday? They are going to think that something is going on and never let me on the plane.

 “Hey Kileigh, let’s go,” my dad yelled as my family was already walking away. 

Every step I took into the airport, I got more and more nervous.  There were security guards and police men everywhere I looked.  I slowly strolled along and passed them, acting as non-suspicious as I could.  I felt like each one of them were staring me down.  I mean, why do they even make me nervous?  All they are doing is keeping me safe.  Seriously, Kileigh, what are you doing. They aren’t even looking at you.  Yes, they are I know they are.  I didn’t do anything. Or did I?  Did I take a snack off the shelf without paying for it?  No, we haven’t even stopped at a gift shop yet.  Do I have something on me that I wasn’t supposed to have?  No. Are you crazy? What could I be carrying on me.  Do I look suspicious?  Ugh, that’s probably it.  Quit it. It’s not even a big deal; I’m literally in the airport.

  “Here’s your ticket and passport,” my dad said nudging into me as I wasn’t paying attention the first three times he said it.

 I was standing in the security line where the security guard was going to ask me what seemed to be a hundred trick questions when it really was questions a two-year-old could answer without hesitation.

  “Next, next, next,” is all I heard the big man with the most serious look on his face sitting there in a tall chair say.

 I stood in line rolling up my ticket, unrolling my ticket, rolling my ticket, and unrolling my ticket to the point that whenever I would unroll it, it would just roll back up on its own.  I was taking baby steps forward as the line moved up.  Rehearsing the answers I was going to have to respond with I thought.  Kileigh, my name is Kileigh.  No, no, Kileigh, my name is Kileigh.  I am 14 years old. 14 years old.  I was born on February 11, 2004, which would be my birthday.  Or was I born in 2003?  Omg, Kileigh, you can’t be messing up. It’s almost your turn.

 “Hey Mom, I was born in 2004, right?” I questioned my mom.

 “Um yes. Did you not know that already?” my mom replied in the most worried voice, looking at me confused.

 The next time the big, serious looking man said, “Next,” it would be my turn. 

My name is Kileigh.  I was born on February 11, 2004 which would make me 14 years old.

  “Next!” It was my turn.

 I walked up slowly with my rolled-up ticket in one hand and my passport in the other. 

“Why is your ticket all rolled up?  Are you nervous or something?” the man asked chuckling.

 “Um, no sir,” I replied even though I was nervous as can be.

  “Alright, well what’s your name, age, and birthday?” he said very commandingly.

  Very slowly I answered, “My name is Kileigh. Um I mean Kileigh.  I am…. fourteen years old.  And my birthday, I was born on February 10, 2003.”

  I could see my whole family’s heads turn as fast as they could with the look of confusion on them. 

“Are you sure about that hunny?” he said very concerned.

 “Yes, I think so,” I replied very positive but second guessing myself.

 And that’s when I realized what I just said.  How can I even mess up that bad?  Now he thinks something suspicious is going on.  Is he going to let me go?

   “Can you repeat what you just told me?  Maybe I heard it wrong,” he said giving me a second try. 

“My name is Kileigh.  I was born on February 11, 2004 and I am fourteen years old,” I said smoothly, knowing I said everything right with no hesitation.

 “Get out of here and stop forgetting your birthday,” he mumbled while laughing.

I had just forgotten my birthday.  How did I even do that?  That was embarrassing. I am lucky he was nice.  That was the most nerve wrecking day ever.


The author's comments:

This is my personal narrative for my English class!!