Homecoming Halftime Peformance | Teen Ink

Homecoming Halftime Peformance

It was my time to shine on the football field. It was freezing cold outside, the point where I was going to turn into a icicle. I was getting trying to get warm to perform my halftime routine. As I’m looking at all the band uniforms, they look warm to me, and I visualize myself in them trying to get warm. I felt bad for all the band players because if they couldn’t move, I would have no music to twirl to. I shouldn’t be thinking about this because I had to focus on warming up to perform in front of the entire school community. Thoughts were rushing through my head like: am I going to drop? I better not. Do your very best. Make this one your best. You should be tired and out of breath by the end of this routine!

Suddenly, the scoreboard clock reached 0, and so, the homecoming halftime show began. The band started their music for our walkon. When we started walking, I immediately focussed on my routine, so I wouldn’t forget anything. The announcements started, as soon as the band played their music.

“Now, if you would pay attention to the homecoming halftime show, as the band plays music, while little Emmie, twirls her baton.” The announcer said. Right when they said Emmie, I looked confused at the audience because “Emmie” is not my full name. I was wondering why he said that and not my full name. Also, how did he know my name? And did my brother (Mariano), give him my name to say? I couldn’t focus on that because I had to focus on my routine. I immediately went back to focus on my routine, and listening to the band play the music. I heard lots of people cheering, and people yelling ‘GO EMMIE!’. Although, I didn’t know who was calling my name, I appreciated their respect.

I was at the point where I had to put my baton down and go back to the top of the pirate, on the football field, for my starting position. I was a little nervous to start, but I was ready for this moment to happen. The announcer was still reading the description of the song and the reason why Mrs. Mitchell chose the song. It was taking forever, but when he came to a stop, Mrs. Mitchell blew her whistle three times and the show began. I was excited to start, and I wanted to this with a good feeling.

I felt good throughout my performance, and the good part is that I didn’t feel nervous, or cold anymore. As I went through my routine, I was starting to get a little tired. I thought I was going to have a little sweat drip come down, but it was too cold for that to happen. It would just turn into a icicle. That was a good thing because it meant that I was working hard, and putting forth my best effort into this show.

When I finally finished my first routine, I put my arms down from my pose, and thought of every single trick I dropped. I had to do this fast because the announcer was reading off another description of the next song, and I had very little time. I couldn’t think of anything I dropped, which meant that I didn’t drop!!

“Hooray!!!” I said quietly to myself. I was so happy, for the next song, I smiled even bigger than the first routine.

The announcer finished his description, and once again, my second routine has started. I was a little bit more scared for this routine because there was a part I had to twirl two batons. The reason why I was scared, is because I didn’t want the batons to drop, and there was more of a chance that I would drop them. When I got to that part of the routine, I tossed the batons high, so I would have enough time to catch them after doing a trick underneath them. Before I knew it, I was at the last stretch of my second routine, and I still had the two batons in my hands. The two baton tricks were easy;  I just was scared to drop such easy tricks that I catch all the time in practice.

My second routine was finally over! The first thing I did was give one of my batons to my friend Becca to hold in her drum. There were two little hooks on the drum by her chest that would hold the baton in place, and so it would never fall off. The second thing I did, was I thought of all the tricks I dropped in this routine. I couldn’t remember anything I dropped, so I once again, I didn’t drop in this routine!

My third routine was by far the easiest routine that I performed on the football field. There was a whole bunch of flexibility that went into this routine, and that is my specialty. Parts of my strut, were incorporated into the beginning of this routine. Strut is a routine that uses flexibility, balance, ballet, and much more. This is the only routine, from baton, that needs a certain song to be played. It is called Stars and Stripes Forever, and we use this to get on beat with our marches.

By the end of this routine, I was out of breath. I started pacing back and forth to try and catch my breath as quick as possible. One of my favorite tricks is at the beginning of this routine. It is called a scorpion, and that’s where you quick your leg up, past your head, balance on your supporting leg. Some people can get there leg straight, but I can get mine slightly bent. When I did that trick at the beginning of my fourth routine, and caught it, I made this last routine the best one yet! I put all my effort into this one.

The crowd went wild! Everyone was clapping and cheering! It was an amazing experience. I was done twirling, but the band had one more song to honor Derek Harms that sadly, passed away a few days before homecoming. They played their last song, “Enter Sandman”, while I brought out Derek’s baritone to the 50-yard line. I walked back to where Mrs. Mitchell was conducting and watch them play. While they were playing their last song, I was evaluating my whole routine. I suddenly realized that I hadn’t dropped a single baton. “Yes, yes, yes!!” I said in my head! I was so proud of myself, that instead of hanging my head on my chest in the walk on, I held my head up high, so everyone could see my face.

From this experience, I learned that no matter how bad or good you performed, that doesn’t matter. It’s the fun you had, and the memories you made. These moments will be cherished in your life for as long as you live.

This is my first Homecoming halftime performance and it was really special for me. I had a lot of thoughts rushing through my head, there was definitely a compare and contrast with my energy from the beginning to the end, but the most important thought was to have a no drop. (That’s what baton twirlers call a routine that they did without  drop).