First Time on the Course | Teen Ink

First Time on the Course

October 18, 2018
By Anonymous

I wrote this piece for the people that think I don’t play sports. I know I'm not the best at them but I enjoy them. This has been a family sport for a while and I decided to take a chance on it.

It was a bright sunny morning on a Monday in Pewaukee, Wisconsin. My grandpa had informed me about possibly going golfing for the first time. I have gone to some lessons but not the real course. The clock winding down… it's time. I gently put my bag in the trunk and enter the car. We headed out. On the way to the golf course, I talked to my grandpa on how exciting it was to go golfing for the first time and doubting if Id actually do well. We pulled up to the course and got our bags out, grabbed the key to the golf cart and headed off.


Next, Hole 1, Par 3. I step onto the green grass pull out my driver and get ready to swing. I swing my first shot and is wide right. My grandpa says, “retry I have another ball.” I follow up and I go straight down the middle but not that far. My grandpa takes a swing. He pulls out the golf cart, and I pull out my 9 iron. It is successfully on the green. I two put my way into the next hole. We take the cart to the next hole and I pull out my driver again. Then, Hole 2, Par 4 I step up to the tee box and put the tee in. I get ready to swing. I miss the ball completely and step back out to do some practice swings. I step up feet shoulder width apart and swing hard. It goes up up up up and comes straight back down going 150 feet. I hit it like I was a Pga tour player. “Nice swing,” my grandpa screams. I go to the cart pull out the 7 iron and shank it far into the rough. I swing with the 9 iron and hit it straight into a sand trap. I scream out gibberish. It was a bad hole I will admit.


Next hole, it was a short par 3. I was ready to swing. I swing the golf club and it went to the sky and over the fence into a constructions site. I tried to finish the whole before they men couldn't figure out it was me. Next Hole 4, Par 3 there was a guy just tanking this course running through holes so we let him pass us. I get ready to hit the ball. I swing ding! It went straight onto the green to the green but rolls back. I pull out the pitching wedge and hit the best chip of my life. My grandpa was impressed. I one put it too. I feel super confident like a baseball team winning there 10th game in a row. I thought I did on the last hole. Following, Hole 5, Par 5 I step up to the box and hit it wide right and it wasn't the best shot I could have done. I'm in the rough again my sweet spot. I'm not that good in the fairway. My 9 iron has saved me for this golf trip. I get it to the green and 3 put it in. I was having trouble on how to read the green.


Next, Hole 6, Par 3 this first experience has been amazing I feel like I'm actually doing something with my life this summer. I shanked my driver a little bit to the right but it was playable. I pulled out the 7 iron and completely missed and made the biggest divot ever. I had to fix it. I hit this ball so well that it skipped over the sand trap and landed right next to the whole. One put that making me feel confident that I was going to beat my grandpa. Next hole, was a par 5. Two more holes to go, I decided I would only do 9 holes for my first time. I swung and it went far halfway down the hole. I felt good but I hit this ball so bad and it went into the water. Not good! I had another ball and played frustrated through the last hole.
Suddenly it's Hole 9, Par 3 I smashed this ball down and it landed on the green. My best drive of the day. I one put that getting a feeling like I was Tiger Woods. I hit the ball into the construction site and I have to learn to know how to hit the ball better. Know how the direct it straight. Know how much power I put into it, and work on all of my game overall.