Charlie Baggett | Teen Ink

Charlie Baggett

By Lauren Baggett BRONZE, Concord, California
Lauren Baggett BRONZE, Concord, California

CHARLIE BAGGETT
“What is it like to be you?”
The first thing you notice about Charlie Baggett is the incredible aplomb with which he approaches the stage. At 14 years of age, he has already performed in numerous venues for crowds as large as 10,000. He has been performing since the age of 6 as an a cappella soloist, and for the last 3 years as a soloist for the well-known Bay Area professional children’s choir VOENA. VOENA has performed all over the world and also for Presidents Bush and Clinton at the Pageant of Peace.
Charlie has performed the National Anthem over 40 times in large stadiums, arenas and at special events. Charlie is extremely patriotic and reverent for such a young man. He is always honored to sing for our veterans and all that our National Anthem stands for .
He loves the stage and sings from deep within his heart and soul. His voice is deep and resonant. It is mature and controlled for someone of such a young age. Charlie chooses his songs wisely and wants to make sure his music has a positive and meaningful message, for his listeners.
Charlie has been a member of the Grammy Recording Academy for three years, and has performed as a soloist for the Bay Area Chapter’s annual end of year celebration in 2007 at Hotel Kabuki in San Francisco, California.
Charlie recently celebrated his debut performance with the acclaimed California Symphony as the guest vocal artist. The California Symphony was voted the best Symphony by Readers Digest in 2005. Charlie performed “Time to Say Goodbye” and “The Prayer.”
Charlie is a young man with a big heart. He has love and compassion for everyone around him and those qualities are very easy to spot, within just minutes of meeting him. Charlie also has a love for animals. He recently performed at the Animal Rescue Foundations first ever “Prodigies for Pets” concert, hosted by Tony La Russa. Charlie shared the stage with such performers as Jonathan Cain of Journey, Carlos Reyes, Karl Perazzo from the band Santana and Holly Stell. Charlie donated his talents to ARF and plans to make frequent visits to their headquarters, which is just a few minutes away from his school.
When Charlie is not performing, you may find him backstage. Charlie loves the technical aspect of the business. He has been a part of sound and tech crews for numerous productions such as, The Wiz, High School Musical and Honk, which were produced by Contra Costa Christian Theater. Charlie was also the deck manager for Honk! The Musical (CCCT), and The Wiz. Charlie has also developed a love for flying. He is currently taking flight lessons out of Buchannan Fields, in Concord, California. You will most assuredly find him in a Cessna 172R, with a gigantic smile on his face. Charlie hopes to obtain his pilot’s license at the age of 16. One of his major inspirations is John Travolta. He admires his talent along with his love of flying. He hopes to become “The Singing Pilot”, and has been introduced as such, at different events.
This young man also enjoys the typical teenage activities. At lunch time, you will find him in the choir room learning to play the drums. He also loves sports. Charlie has played baseball for 5 years and loves riding dirtbikes. His ultimate weekend, is a trip up to Jawbone Canyon with his Dad to ride dirtbikes, or a trip to Tahoe with his friends.
Overall, Charlie is a talented, loving and compassionate young adult. He is professional on and off the stage, but loves to have fun like the average, everyday teen.
Listen to Charlie on MySpace @ www.myspace.com/CharlieBaggett, and www,charliebaggett.com.

Question: How long have you been singing?
Charlie: “I have been singing since I was five years old. I was sitting on my front porch and my mom asked me to sing for my grandma. I did, and they knew there was something special about my voice.”

Question: What are your dreams and aspirations?
Charlie: “Well, I want to have my own plane and be able to travel the world. I want to be able to put out CD’s and be a role model for other teens. I want them to know that if they want to achieve something, they can.”

Question: Who has been the biggest influence throughout your singing career?
Charlie: “My vocal trainer, Annabelle Marie. She has taught me all about vocals and has helped lay down the path of my career. She also tells me what to drink before I perform. (Charlie laughs.)”

Question: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do?
Charlie: “I have always wanted to go to Australia and see the outback. If I had to live anywhere else, it would probably be there. I would buy a bunch of land, have a nice home built and have all my friends come and stay with me. Oh, my family too. (HaHa.)”

Question: Who is your celebrity hero and why?
Charlie: “John Travolta. He sings and has a house with his own private airstrip and plane! He is also a good man that does good things, from his heart.”

Question: What is your idea of the perfect date?
Charlie: “A nice walk on the beach at sunset, not too windy. It’s always fun to go to a restaurant, have a casual dinner, get ice cream and end the night with a funny movie. Too bad it is never that perfect!”

Question: In relation to the previous question, what qualities do you feel are important in a girl?
Charlie: “Someone who likes to have fun. I don’t like girls that are too, tense. I like to be around people that are really laid back and easy going, like me. Also, a girl that feels she could tell me anything and everything.”

Question: What is your most embarrassing moment?
Charlie: “Well, I was on the front porch with my neighbor Nick and his girlfriend, which happens to be you, my sister. (Laughs.) I was in my swim trunks and holding my cat. Nick was messing around, grabbing my shorts with his foot, and he accidentally pulled a little too hard! My shorts dropped. I didn’t want to drop my cat, so I stood there completely useless! It was terrible!”

Question: What is your favorite thing to do on the weekend?
Charlie: “Go flying and hanging out with my friends, making stupid videos to upload on you tube. I also love going to San Francisco to chill with my friend.

Question: What is your favorite vacation spot and why?
Charlie: “The Disney Cruise because that is where I relax. I can hang out with new friends that I make on the ship.”

Question: What is it like to be you?
Charlie: “Well, I guess my life is pretty simple. I still have to get up and go to school every morning like every other teen. After school, I go home and talk to my friends on the computer and sometimes head off to the studio for a couple of hours. I also like to hang out with my family and two dogs and just, chill.

My name is Lauren Baggett, Charlie's sister, and I am 17 years old. I am currently a Senior in High School and plan on moving to Southern California for college and to pursue my acting and modeling career. Many have been inspired and touched by Charlie and his music, so I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to get to know Charlie. Look foward to his album, coming in early April!