Interview with Sales Engineer Gabriel P. | Teen Ink

Interview with Sales Engineer Gabriel P.

April 21, 2008
By Anonymous

My father Gabriel P. is a successful Heating Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC) Sales Engineer. Here are his insights on a good career with an interesting field.


Why did you choose to be an HVAC Engineer? How did you become inspired?
I read in the Wall Street Journal that the average person in that career made a six-figure income. It applies many aspects of what I was educated in on a very practical level. It combines simple things like human comfort and engineering. It’s a very neutral career and heating and cooling is an essential part of our daily lives and not many people know how complicated it really is.

Do you enjoy your job? Why or why not?
I enjoy my job very much. It’s a people job and I’m able to help people with designing systems to suit their needs.

Does your field have promising opportunities? What is the average salary?
The opportunities in my field are steady. My business doesn’t change much. The opportunities coincide with the economy. The average salary is about $75,000 in a year.

What is the best part of your job? The worst?
The best part of my job is the freedom to do whatever I want and have whichever customers I desire. I’m my own boss. The freedom is also the worst part because I have to develop my own revenue stream.

Do you have to travel a lot? If yes, do you enjoy it?
I do have to travel, but locally for the most part. I do enjoy it because every day is a new and exciting day and I get to see new places.

What type of education do you need to get a job like yours?
A four-year degree in mechanical engineering and training in the field of heating and air conditioning.

Was it tough at first to get employed? What were some obstacles?
It was difficult to get employed at first because of my lack of experience. At first, nobody wants you because you don’t have any experience in any field. When you’re young, people perceive you as being a child.

What knowledge do you know now about your job that you wish you knew earlier?
I wish I knew to choose companies that fit my talents. I wish I knew about all of the other markets that were available.



What is the most important thing that you have learned about working in your career?
I learned that the fundamentals of honesty and integrity carry more weight than anything else. Once you have people’s trust they come to you with more work and it builds my reputation.

What advice to you have to give to people aspiring to be an HVAC Engineer?
Learn as much about different systems as you can. For example, learn about what hospitals do, what schools do, learn about what professional office buildings require, and learn as much as you can in general. Learn as much as you can in school and make sure to choose a company that fits your needs.