Interview with Bruce Holm-Radio | Teen Ink

Interview with Bruce Holm-Radio

February 14, 2008
By Anonymous

You may recognize his voice on the radio. You may know him by his radio name Bob Wayne. But do you really know the man behind the mike?

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

When I was little I remember my first grade teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I thought about it for a second, and responded I want to be a bank robber. In high school I wanted to be a radio announcer because I really liked music.

Are you happy with your career choice?

I enjoy what I do, and I'm good at it. So overall yes, I am happy with my career choose.

From where did you receive your degree?
I received my degree from North Dakota School of Science in Wahpeton, North Dakota.

How many years have you been a radio DJ?

I've been working at KBRK since July 1, 1991.

Whats the most rewarding part of your job?

It's rewarding for me to know that something I say can brighten someone's day. Something as simple as playing a song on the radio for someone or even wishing them a happy birthday makes my career all the better.

What's your least favorite part of your job?

I hate the hours I work. I have to get up at 3:30 AM to be to work by 5 AM. I work until 2 PM and once I get home I usually take a nap to regenerate. I usually wake up in the late afternoon and have to be back in bed by around 8 PM.

What do you look forward to once arriving at work?

I look forward to seeing my coworkers. I also look forward to having an interview with someone I like or if I have an interesting topic to discuss with someone.

How many hours do you work a day?

I work from 5 AM to 2 PM so usually about 8 or 9 hours Monday through Friday.

What does the day of a radio DJ consist of?
I get to work at 5 AM. Sign on at 6 and have an air show. My air show is over at 10 and the rest of my day consists of doing paperwork, scheduling, commercials, and doing production.



Have you met any interesting people while doing this job?

I have met a lot of interesting people while having this job. Even some celebrities, for example, last week I had an interview with Otis Williams- the only surviving member of The Temptations.

Do you have your own office, and if so do you do most of your broadcasting primarily in the same room?

I have a cubical for an office. I'm hardly in there however because broadcasting takes place in different rooms- the control room, the production rooms, and five different studios.


By working for KBRK which consists of 93.7, 107.1, and AM 1430, which one is your favorite to work on and why?

I have really no preference because I really don't get to listen to the music. While I'm working I don't really get to listen to the music because I'm busy getting something else ready.

Do you talk about your personal life on the radio?

Sometimes. Not too personal but I make fun of myself a lot. I enjoy my job because I have a lot of freedom in what I say so within reason I talk about whatever comes up. I try not to be opinionated and steer away from talking about things like politics.

Do you get to ever make commercials for companies advertisements?

Sometimes we do. We can completely make a commercial by adding sound affects and using our own voices.

Does your work ever affect your personal life, and if so how?

The hours I work affect my personal life. If I don't get to bed on time it usually effects my next day. Newer people at the station sometimes call me at home when they need help with something and going to fund raisers on weekends.

Does the radio station do a lot of fund raising?

Yeah, we fund raise for the Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity, and Toys for Tots. I really like how KBRK uses the radio to do good for the community.

Do you ever get to travel with your job?

Sometimes, yeah. I get to attend award ceremonies and get to travel to different schools to read to elementary schools. We also can go to Las Vegas to attend the NAB (National Alliance of Broadcasting).

Do you prefer working on the AM or FM better?

They both have good and bad that comes along with them. The AM requires more skill because you're handling more equipment and you have to talk every 2 minutes and is informative while on the FM you talk every 10 minutes and is more for entertainment.


What do you do in your off time?

I enjoy spending time with my family, reading, and motorcycling.

What advice do you have for someone wanting to become a Radio DJ?

My advice would be to have an advanced vocabulary, be a proficient reader, good with language, and you have to be able to think on your feet.