Lawrence K.: Working Dad | Teen Ink

Lawrence K.: Working Dad

By NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois

Lawrence K.: Working Dad

This is an interview about a man who can work a job with ridiculous hours and still make time for family. I am proud to be a part of that family

What do you enjoy about your job?

I enjoy the challenges of fast-paced operation with decision making at the drop of a hat that affects many people and customers. I also enjoy working with a team and developing people along the way. I enjoy defining roles and responsibilities and creating new processes that will change the work place and make goals easier to maintain as we move forward.

What to you not enjoy about your job?

The modern day unionized work force consistently presents itself as an anti-work force. In addition to that, the unionized work groups promote an “it’s all about me” attitude redefining the word “work” as a four letter word. I also do not enjoy the additional daily hours needed to babysit grown adults as they muddle through their day.

Can you give me a brief summary of what you do?

I manage the international operations at Chicago’s O’Hare International Airport with a daily work force of approximately 130 individuals. I work closely with the city of Chicago, Department of Homeland Security, and on rare occasions, the Federal Bureau of Investigation. I have a collateral assignment of working with all the Star Alliance carriers at ORD. Working with the Star Alliance carriers, I am the point person for my particular company and the issues of the Star Alliance are brought to me to resolve at the station.

Has your job affected your life outside of the airport?

Yes it has, frequently I have to adjust my work hours to accommodate for my children and their activities.

When and why did you decide to do the job that you have now?

I was asked to go to my present position during reorganization in February of 2010. I was requested due to my work knowledge and my communication skills with the department of homeland security. In addition, it is part of my development for future positions in the organization particularly corporate headquarters.

After High School, what made you decide to work at the airport?

I was accepted at the University of Southern Illinois and was going to study aircrafts maintenance. During the summer of 1983, I started working at the airport and due to the lucrative money at that time, I forebode my college classes and continued working full time picking up college courses at the College of DuPage. My father was a mid-level manager with the company that I presently work for now.

Do you ever work holidays despite the fact that you can’t celebrate them with your family?

Yes, I have worked Christmas for the last seven years, as well as my birthday, new years day, father’s day, and family birthdays. Due to my schedule, making changes is unacceptable and I am graded on my performance as well as my attendance. I’ve called in sick only one time in the last ten years, I am never late for work, yet I still try to make all of my children’s activities whether it be school or sports as I try to maintain a balance of work life and home life.