Computer Operating System and Hardware Integration Specialist Merlin M. | Teen Ink

Computer Operating System and Hardware Integration Specialist Merlin M.

May 10, 2009
By NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
26 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Merlin Mathesius, a Computer Operating System and Hardware Integration Specialist, works for a global finance company called UBS. I had the opportunity to interview him and find out some specific details about his job.

Who do you work for and what does the company do?

I work for UBS. It is a global financial services company. Customers include both companies and individual investors. We help clients manage their stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and other investments.

Why did you decide to work at UBS?

Actually, I never really decided to work at UBS. I started out as a consultant and was assigned to work at a company called Swiss Bank Corporation. Through a series of mergers and acquisitions, I ended up working at UBS without ever really changing my job.

What are your job responsibilities?

My official job title is Computer Operating System and Hardware Integration Specialist. I specialize in Unix based operating systems such as Linux, Solaris, and Mac OS X. Basically, I make sure computers and upgraded systems work well together and work with other computers within the company at all locations across the globe. I write documentation explaining things I change with software, and I help people with problems they have.

Do you work with a team or as an individual?

I work with a team of about a dozen people. They have a variety of different skills and talents.

What kind of education do you need for your job?

No college education is actually required for my job. Really, you just need to be smart. However, you would have a much better chance of getting hired if you had a degree in engineering, science, or math. Most of the people I work with have degrees in those areas.

What do you like about your job?

Well, it’s a steady job with good pay and benefits. I work with a lot of good people and I get to wear jeans every day. Additionally, I find my work to be quite interesting. I get to do something different every day, so I usually don’t get too bored.




What do you dislike about your job?

Sometimes I have to work some really bizarre hours. Since I work for a global company, I often have conference calls with people in Europe and the Far East. To accommodate for the time difference, I usually have to wake up really early in the morning to make it to the conference calls. I also don’t like the really long commute to work every day.

Where do you work and how long is your commute?

I work in downtown Chicago. Under ideal conditions, my commute is an hour and a half each way. This includes my drive to the train station, the train ride, and then the walk from the train station to work. However, it has taken up to three and a half hours for a one way trip.

What are your working conditions?

I work at a desk, behind a computer, in a cubical. It’s nothing too exciting.

What advice would you give to someone who wants a job like yours?

Work with your teammates instead of against them. Study hard, especially in math and science. Lastly, if you don’t like something, try not to complain too much.