Chris Nieslochowski-music teacher | Teen Ink

Chris Nieslochowski-music teacher

By NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois
NancyP PLATINUM, Aurora, Illinois

Mr. Nies has been working as a band teacher at Still Middle School for a few years. He teaches the 6th and part of 7th grade, and he also directs an honors band, the wind ensemble. Mr. Nies served as my 6th grade teacher and directed me in the wind ensemble for 2 years. Mr. Nies is an amazing person; he is fun and makes sure no one is ever left out. He serves a not only a teacher, but a friend. It is easy to laugh with him and have a great time! Mr. Nies plays trombone, but he enjoys all the instruments. Now, I met with Mr. Nies and asked him a few questions about his job.

What kind of education do you need to be a music teacher?

To be a music teacher, you need three things, a high school diploma, a bachelor’s degree, and a teaching certificate. It really doesn’t take very much to be a music teacher. You do have to learn all the instruments though. You don’t have to master, just learn them.

What do you like most about your job?

I love working with the kids! The kids are fun and exciting; they totally beat doing a bunch of paperwork and grading. I can always look forward to teaching the wonderful band students. Working with children is so amazing because they are exciting and fun, and they can easily make me laugh.

What got you interested in your job?

My high school band teacher first got me interested in the job. He was an amazing teacher, and he showed me how fun teaching music could be. He was one of the few people I can say I have actually seen that is passionate about what he does. He didn’t find work a drag, he enjoyed every minute of it. After having him as a teacher, I decided I wanted to be a band teacher.

What is the hardest part of your job?

Definitely the paperwork! That is one part of my job I do not look forward to. Also the mad calls from parents, but I had to learn to let them yell and not take it personally. Sometimes, when I am wrong, I feel bad when a parent calls. However, other times, when I am right, I just let them yell and get it over with.

What advice would you give to someone new to the job?

I would tell them, to be very patient. Sometimes, when you’re have a bad day, you may not want people to talk to you or be around you, but you have to remember to be patient. Another thing would be to keep growing. Learn from experience. Don’t just blow off a mistake, take that mistake and learn from it. Because I can promise you, it’s not going to come to you overnight, especially when you are first starting out. It seems hard sometimes but keep going and don’t stop.