Thank You Veterans | Teen Ink

Thank You Veterans

Dear Honorary Vietnam Veteran,

With my whole heart, welcome home. Despite this welcome being decades overdue, your service does not go unnoticed in today's world. I thank you for the service and sacrifices you have devoted to our great country and its citizens.

Connections to the military in my family include my Uncle, who served six years in the Air Force spending time stationed in Germany. Additionally, my grandpa served in the Army for five years stationed in Vietnam.  I have been inspired by men and women like you to serve our country. I have applied and been nominated to the U.S. Air Force Academy. I plan on serving our nation in the Air Force as a pilot as long as God’s Will allows me.

At school, I watched the Honor Flight movie. I am convinced the world stopped turning while watching. Our classroom was impacted with so much vital knowledge about brave veterans like yourself.  During the movie, you could hear a pin drop in the room. That goes to show the respect my peers and I have towards selfless men and women like you.

In eighth grade, my class and I took a trip to Washington D.C. We had the sacred opportunity to view the monuments in which you attended today. I was floored by how much respect and valor was at landmarks such as Vietnam Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, and the changing of the guard. I cannot imagine how significant viewing these memorials today must have been for you. I hope viewing these memorials brought back good memories and showed how grateful our country is for you.   

I look up to brave veterans like you. You act as a role model, and I strive to make you proud in the future. Service for our country is an honor, but furthermore to serve for predecessors such as you is beyond that. I hope you had the best day ever. I sincerely thank you for the service you have devoted to our country. From my heart to yours, welcome home!

Repectfully,

High School Student

We watched the Honor Flight movie in class which inspired me to thank Vietnam war Veterans.