Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

By 8lorenz GOLD, Okauchee, Wisconsin
8lorenz GOLD, Okauchee, Wisconsin

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

First off, Welcome Home! I want to thank you for all that you have done. You’re the reason our country is the way it is today. Without you or your fellow servicemen and women, I wouldn’t be able to call this place my home. I really do appreciate your efforts.

I am writing this letter to thank you for your sacrifices and service. I truly have never had the chance to personally thank a veteran myself and now that I have the chance to, thank you.

Some people were born with the desire to fight for our country, and some weren’t. Whether you were born for this job or not, I wanted to thank you for stepping up and risking your life for our country and our people. I know many people don’t say it often, but, we are endlessly grateful for you and your service.

As my eighteenth birthday is coming up, I have been thinking more and more about how it would feel if I were drafted. It’s a scary thing! My grandpa was drafted into the Army where he went through Army training for soldiers. He was then stationed in Alaska for over two years. Even though he was never deployed, I know the huge sacrifices he had to make to serve his country! He used to train on a lot of things while in the Army—one being how to make your bed really well. The one thing I do remember him saying was, “I knew how to make a bed tight enough to have a quarter bounce on it,” and that’ll stick with me forever.

I want you to know how truly thankful I am. You put on a uniform, you served as a warrior, and you sacrificed each and every day. You’re the reason I can wake up safely each morning, go to work and school, and come home to a roof over my head. Thank you again for all that you did and continue to do and welcome home!

Thank you for all you do, Veterans!