Christina Grimmie: Gone Too Soon | Teen Ink

Christina Grimmie: Gone Too Soon

By Siana PLATINUM, Escondido, California
Siana PLATINUM, Escondido, California

In this day and age, heroes don’t wear capes and fly around, rescuing innocent civilians from the malicious, lethal acts of a villain. Today, heroes work their way up to a certain degree of fame, inspiring individuals, or helping them through the rough patches in their lives, or being a motivational factor to help them do whatever they set their mind to.
Christina Grimmie was a hero.

Christina Victoria Grimmie was an exceptionally gifted musician, who started her career on YouTube, posting covers of well-known songs and gaining millions of views and fans. Years later, she placed third on NBC’s “The Voice”. Grimmie continued to inspire a countless number of individuals, performing and touring since 2011. She was a genuine soul with a big heart, positively affecting the lives of those around her.

However, her journey came to an end on June 11, 2016, where she was murdered at the age of 22.

Grimmie was simply doing what she loved. On June 10, she had a concert in Orlando, Florida and was signing merchandise after the performance. Imagine her, still filled with happy-adrenaline from her set, heart full of nothing but joy as she hugged and talked to her adoring fans, who she adored just as much. And then, all of a sudden, a man who was armed with two guns walked right up to the singer. And he shot her. Then he shot himself.

Heroes don’t deserve to die a cruel and unfair death, yet that’s what happened to Grimmie. She fought for her life until she passed early the next morning. The internet and news blew up with news about Christina Grimmie and it seemed as though the whole world mourned the loss of such a talented and beautiful person.

I went to bed on the night of the 10th with anxiety and slept restlessly. Christina had always been my number one inspiration and I feared for her life. I tossed and turned, hoping that when the daylight shone through my windows, I would go online and see that was was alright, that she was fine, that she pulled through; she had to. When I awoke the next morning and learned that she was gone, my heart sank. I felt it drop from my chest and through the floor, emptying itself on the way out. I stared at my phone in shock, in disbelief, in sorrow. I thought about the virtual interactions I had with Christina, becoming both saddened and grateful for the few messages she once sent me. I stared at my phone, not knowing what to do, because I didn’t want to believe that my hero was gone.

I could drone on for hours, days, weeks even, about what Christina meant to me and how saddened I was—and still am—about her passing. But I won’t. Instead, I’ll conclude by redefining a hero, as shown by Grimmie.

A hero is somebody who cares for and strives to help other individuals. Grimmie did that. A hero is somebody who wants to inspire others, encouraging them to be the best version of themselves possible. Grimmie did that. A hero is somebody who does not even see that they are a hero yet they stay there, saving lives and helping others without even realizing it. Grimmie did that.

She is gone, but she won’t leave our hearts anytime soon.

thebookwrmgirl BRONZE, Major, Illinois
Ugh, yes! I can't believe such an inspiring beautiful person is gone because of hate and who knows really why.