The Boy Who Changed My Life | Teen Ink

The Boy Who Changed My Life

By Allison Pastene BRONZE, Naperville, Illinois
Allison Pastene BRONZE, Naperville, Illinois

“Wow, look at this report card!” These are the words that any child loves to hear. Most people do not take words like this for granted and we should. When a child usually hears the word “Wow,” (s)he thinks that it is being used in a good way. Most of the time it is, but, unfortunately, it can also be used in a bad way, such as to describe a horrific event or tragedy.

My fifth grade English teacher Miss Djurdjevic was the first one to open my eyes to this. She gave me the understanding that not only “Wow” could be used in a good or bad way, but also words such as “Incredible,” “Amazing,” “Spectacular,” or “Stupendous.” Miss Djurdjevic made sure that this new way of using certain words was not to be confused with sarcasm (this was the hardest part since my family uses a lot of sarcasm).

The first time I actually applied this to my everyday life was about half a year later. The summer I was going into sixth grade I met someone: he changed my life forever. The impact he had on me was probably the biggest I will ever have from someone I personally know. He had lost both of his parents by the age of nine! When I looked at him he was so full of life I could not believe it. The amount of courage, hope, and strength it must have taken him to be able to go on with his everyday life and not feel the pain of knowing that he would never see his parents again was unimaginable to me and probably to you too. When I tried to even picture this pain, all I could come up with was being on crutches for five-and-a-half months because of some silly growth spurt. I remembered not being able to do everyday things like participating in gym, walking, and climbing the stairs. But then I thought about it and I was lucky, compared to people who have cancer, and people like my friend. I went home from meeting this person and cried. I told my mom and dad. I used “Wow” in two ways that day, I thought Wow, I could never be so strong; at least, I do not think I could be like that, and Wow, I have complained about only having one grandparent alive when he has no parents left.

If more people were to realize the “Wow” can be used in many ways people would really start to care for others and understand each other. If you were to hear someone say “Wow,” you might think Oh something could be wrong or everything could be fine; maybe I should just check to make sure. The world would probably be a different place if people were to really realize the meaning, impact, power, and significance that words have on others’ lives and thoughts. Personally, the next time I hear “Wow” or something similar, I will not immediately assume good or bad, but I will decide for myself. How about you?

RDP said...
Good job Ally- keep writing - what about a K-9 story or experience?

Susan said...
A very thought provoking story. Keep up the great writing.

Patty L said...
Wow! What a great article!

Mrs. Harvey said...
You are a great writer! Keep it up!

Duncan said...
Nice job, made me feel a few emotions in only a couple paragraphs!

Karen F. said...
Great article, keep writing and submitting to other avenues like newpapers and magazines - you never know where it can lead! I met a magazine author (and part time actor) who started in Jr. High submitting articles. Now he writes for an entertainment magazine.

Leanne1 said...
What a great article