Inspirational Teacher | Teen Ink

Inspirational Teacher

By karen77 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
karen77 BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

Finally the last year of middle school, 8th grade. Mrs. Quint my Language Arts teacher, bright brown curly hair always making us read and write a lot. Half an hour of writing and the same with reading, usually three times a week. She knows very well I hate reading. As she was looking around the classroom with those hazel green eyes, she notices that i was flipping the pages in my book pretending to read. Then she comes ove,r and says to me with her Argentinian accent, “you know reading will be around for the rest of your life right?”. I thought about it and said, “Yeah..”.Strong, kind, encouraging, motivating teacher taught me so much.

I honestly never had an interest in reading, every time I read a book I never finish it.

“Reading is for your own good, reading and writing will lead you to better opportunities and it’ll get you to your goal” she said. Ever since she said that, I wanted to make her proud. The class had to read a book and write a one page essay about it. I found a book that looked interesting, it had a yellow cover with lots of school related cartoon drawings on it, and a little boys face. Then i noticed how thick the book was. I was starting to feel that i wouldn’t finish it, and i’d end up looking up the story on the website but then that’d be too much work. So I was determined to read the whole book. After a few days of reading the book, I was so attached to it i didn’t want to stop reading. At the end of the book, there was an unexpected twist. The book was so amazing that I couldn’t write about it in a page. In my mind I though she didn't expects much from me since I didn't like reading. I ended up turning in an eight page summary about the book. I couldn't have done it without her motivation and encouragement.

After graduation, I missed middle school so I decided to visit after school was over. As my friend and I were about to approach her classroom, an old lady with brown, short, curly hair turned off the classroom light, locked the door and walked away. I felt despair that she wasn't there. A few weeks past by, and I found out by a friend of mine that Mrs. Quint, hardworking motivating teacher was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I still remember the last time I talked to her. It was a beautiful day out after school. I was waiting for my friend to walk home when all of a sudden I heard my name being called. I didn't recognize her at first, but as she got closer I no longer saw her bright brown curly hair, she had a black bandana over her head. She was wearing a sweater with jeans and teenie shoes. No heels. But as always she had this big bright smile on her face. "How's your reading going?" She says. "It's going better than ever." I said.

I haven't talked to her since, but I have seen her. This wonderful, strong woman had the shortest bright brown hair. And Same as always with her amazing smile.