The Outpost | Teen Ink

The Outpost

By David Ryan BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
David Ryan BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

The Outpost by Jake Tapper is full of thrills and intense fire fights that American soldiers go through in Afghanistan. This story shows the true acts of valor in these young men and their stories at combat outpost Keating. Their stories give us the insight on what being a soldier and war is. If you want to feel like you’re in the middle of the battle with these soldiers this is a book to read. This book takes the reader through the ups and downs of what being a soldier would be as if they were there. This book shows the importance of each decision a soldier makes and it could mean life or death for them. This story gives us a behind scenes on how war really is and how it is not made up to be what it actually is in reality. The Outpost is a very graphic novel as well and should not be read for kids under sixteen years old. The book goes into very descriptive details about battle wounds and to some readers they could find it disturbing. The Outpost is a very easy read and has a good flow. Although a reader might have to look up some military terms to see what they actually mean. The Outpost takes a reader on a ride of emotions, such as, anger, frustration, sadness, and sometimes happiness. A reader will be angry when an American soldier’s life is taken away, frustration when the leaders of these soldiers make the wrong decision, sadness when the reader will hear about the families who have to deal with this and happiness when the soldiers win battles. This book deals with very important issues that are happening today. These issues involve bringing soldiers’ home from Afghanistan and what the strategy is there. Many people have their different opinions, once you read this book you will see

we need more troops in Afghanistan in order to keep terrorists out of our country. Another important issue in the story is the rules and regulations the American soldiers face, when the insurgents fight by no rules. This backfires on soldiers sometimes and most of the time they have to make a call on to shoot or not. If they shoot at a civilian then the locals will begin helping the insurgents again. The Outpost shows the true heroes of the war and how these young men will do anything to win and make it back home safe. Jake Tapper takes the reader on a ride through fire fights, missions, and daily missions throughout the whole story. The Outpost makes someone want to read more and the reader will not want to put the book down. The reader will want to know what happens next and if a soldier will make it back home safe to their families back at home. I strongly recommend this book if you are interested in military or if you want to read a story about true heroes who are willing to risk their own lives for the betterment of the world around us and for the future generation.