A New Kind of Hero | Teen Ink

A New Kind of Hero

When you hear the word hero, what do you think of? Most people think of someone with superhuman strength or the ability to fly, but I think of someone who inspires everyone to do their best, always stay positive throughout the toughest obstacles, and lives their life through God. Karen Lee Bush (my nana) was born to Scotty and Margaret Clark on January 30, 1955. She was born in Greensboro, North Carolina. She moved to Eclipse, Virginia, in 1958, and then later moved to Westfield, Indiana, in 1977. Karen Lee Bush is a positive, inspirational, God-loving person, who always puts her family before anything else in her life; Karen Lee Bush is my hero.

I met my nana when she first babysat me when I was six weeks old. She babysat me from when I was six weeks old until I was eight years old. She stopped babysitting me in 2001, because her son, Jake, got into a very horrible four-wheeler accident. He was in a coma because of his accident. He is alive now, but he has multiple injuries that have left him unable to take care of himself. My nana has three sons. Her oldest son’s name is James Kenneth Bush, Jr. He was born on November 17, 1981. Her second son is Joseph Daniel Bush. He was born on December 31, 1983. Her youngest son, Jacob Lee Bush, was born on July 14, 1991. She has been married to James Kenneth Bush Sr. since December 24, 1981.

My nana has always lived her life through God. That is one of the reasons she is my hero. She has never doubted her faith in God. When her son was in his accident, she would pray to God and ask, “God, please give me a sign to let me know that Jake will be ok.” She told me that God answered her prayer and sent her a sign. From then on, she knew that Jake would live.

My nana has been positive throughout all of the years since Jake’s accident. This is another reason why she is my hero. She always believes that everything will be ok because God is always there. She is always positive and accepts everything that happens in her life. She believes that God intends for everything to happen.

My nana was a pre-school teacher, and she would always inspire kids to learn and do their best. That is another reason why she is my hero. She was a teacher because she said that it was “in her blood”. Her mother was a teacher too. She loved teaching young kids because they were at the age where you were able to shape and mold them into great people. She also liked to teach young kids because they were not rebellious or sassy.

No matter what situation she is in, my nana always puts her family first. She always defends her family against an enemy. Through tough situations, she is always positive and tells her family that everything is going to be alright. When Jake got into his accident, she was always at the hospital with him. She chose to always be with Jake all the time and take care of him.

My nana is a very heroic person, just like Odysseus. Odysseus and my nana both love their families dearly and would try to save them no matter what. They both also believe that some kind of God has a big impact on their lives. Even though Odysseus worships many gods, and she only worships one God, they still have the same belief that a higher power will help them.
The hero in my life has influenced me in many ways. She has taught me to always cherish my family. She has also taught me to be positive and trust God in every situation. She inspires me to become a better person every day. I always tell everyone, “Out of all of the people I know, my nana is the bravest, most caring person.” I love my nana, my hero.