Too Big, Too Fast, Too Strong, Too Good | Teen Ink

Too Big, Too Fast, Too Strong, Too Good

By gfdsa BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois
gfdsa BRONZE, Mundelein, Illinois

He is 6'3", with a 40 inch vertical, and one of the best players in the NBA. Many people like me are truly inspired by him. NBA All-Star Derrick Rose is a phenomenal athlete. He inspires me and other kids that are as determined to do to reach their goal, to achieve it. I characterize him as hard-working humble and determine. I am amazed by the effort he puts in the game to become the best in the league. He is competitive, explosive and, never gives up.

Derrick Martell Rose was born on October 4, 1988. He was the youngest of his four brothers growing up in the neighborhood Englewood in Chicago. Learning the game of basketball from his brothers helped him find a love for the game. For high school ball he attended Simeon Career Academy in 2003. Rose wore the number 25, honoring former Simeon basketball star Benji Wilson, who was murdered by a gang member his senior year. Derrick was outstanding his freshman year averaging 18.5 points, 6.6 assists, 4.7 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game. Although he was not allowed on Varsity because of a long school tradition of "No freshman on Varsity" he showed that he deserved a spot. Bringing his team to a State Championship, scouts were going all over to get Derrick to play for their college. Everything kept getting better from there. The point guard was named Illinois’s "Mr. Basketball" and to McDonalds All –American team. The basketball star was standing to college coaches to recruit. After his senior year of high school it was time for him to move on to the next level, College.

Derrick rose chose to attend University of Memphis. His freshman year he was growing as a player and becoming an outstanding player. By his outstanding first year play he carried Memphis get far in the standings. The freshman averaged 14.9 points, 4.7 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 1.2 steals. Derrick put Memphis as the #1 seed in the nation. They made it all the way to the Championship game. He wanted to prove he is the real deal. The more games won by the Tigers were making more NBA teams wanting Derrick. This maybe his last game as a Tiger and what is a better way to leave then as a national champion. It was time to play the Kansas Jayhawks for the title. The game went to overtime but Memphis could not come out with the win. But they got a devastating loss to a remarkable season by the superstar Derrick Rose. Rose, after the game, announced that he was electing to go in the NBA Draft. He was taking a huge risk by going in the draft after only his freshman year of college. Although in the end it all paid off.

Derrick Rose was picked #1 overall by the Chicago Bulls. The heart and soul he put in the game was worth it. He became the first point guard since 1996 to drafted #1 overall. Still putting the work in him showed no fear coming into the league. He had many expectations to live up to, coming to a team who once had the greatest player to ever play the game. He immediately took the role as a point guard for the Bulls and was doing it well. Averaging 16.8 points, 6.3 assists and 3.9 rebounds he was becoming a leader. His leadership brought the Bulls to the playoffs in his first year of playing pro. They landed the seventh seed in the conference, which they will have to play defending champions Boston Celtics. In his very first playoff game his 36 points lead to an overtime win, which tied Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for most points in a playoff debut. The Bulls did not go down without a fight bringing the series to seven games. They lost the series but Derrick Rose once again had an outstanding basketball season. His impressive play got him the "Rookie of the Year" award. That would have him join Michael Jordan and Elton Brand as the only Bulls to be given this award. Since his rookie year he has brought the Bulls to the playoffs every year after. He is working harder than ever to get the NBA championship trophy. But in the 2010 Derrick Rose suffered from tearing his ACL in the first round of the playoffs. The #1 seed Chicago Bulls were eliminated in the first round. Rose went through surgery and rehab for his knee. Derrick has been out since and hasn't played game in the 2012-2013 yet but it will be a huge when he returns.

Derrick inspires me because of his heart, his determination, his sacrifice to the game, and by being humble. He has given hope to the Bulls fans hope to win a championship. I am amazed by the hard work he puts in the game. He had huge shoes to fill and so far filling them slowly but surely. Inspiring many, Derrick rose grew up from a harsh neighborhood but showed anything can happen if you put your mind to it.

What inspired me to write this is that he is my favorite basketball player. He shows you that anything is possible if you work hard enough. What people should get from it is that if you are determined enough and have the heart you cna reach your goals.