Communication Arts • Palmyra Middle School: Jayme Geisendorfer | Teen Ink

Communication Arts • Palmyra Middle School: Jayme Geisendorfer MAG

By AriannaNicole PLATINUM, Palmyra, Missouri
AriannaNicole PLATINUM, Palmyra, Missouri

A #2 pencil and a dream can take you anywhere.
Joyce A. Myers

School. There was a time that this word twisted my stomach into knots. I knew that when I arrived at middle school, another year of bullying, drama, interminable homework, and pressure to maintaining good grades while doing multiple extracurricular activities would begin. I also had my home life to worry about, and that’s enough stress in itself. All of these worries lay upon my shoulders, but little did I know that God was going to send me an angel. On my first day of eighth grade I met Jayme Geisendorfer, known to her students as “Ms. G.”

If her name was in the dictionary, synonyms would include hip, funky, fun, passionate, crazy, caring, and life-saver. Ms. G. teaches Communication Arts and has a way of capturing her students’ attention. From the way she talks, to the cheesy but funny videos she shows, the lessons she teaches stick in our brains.

Did I mention she trusts us with her life? This year our school went to a team-building camp. All of the students and a few brave teachers worked to complete difficult tasks, one of which included trusting the people behind you as you fell backward off a four-foot platform, hoping they would catch you. In my mind I could almost hear Ms. G. say, “Challenge accepted.” She got right up there and fell back into the safety of our arms. I guess, for me anyway, it’s easier to trust someone when you know they trust you.

One of my favorite things about her is the way she listens. It’s not that nosey “tell me more” kind of listening. Instead, she sits there in silence. Occasionally she nods so I know she’s listening, or she’ll pull me into a tight embrace so I can cry on her shoulder. After I’m done talking she gives me her honest opinion. Her words are like little rays of hope that barely penetrate the dark abyss but give me enough light to move forward.

By listening this way, last year she was able to save a boy’s life. He was thinking about leaving this world, but Ms. G. talked him out of it. If you think about it, she saved a lot more than that boy. She saved a son, brother, and friend, and maybe even a future husband, father, and grandpa. To me that makes a hero.

Ms. G. is a hero, and I thank God for giving me someone who cares and is as amazing as she is.

on Feb. 23 2013 at 1:21 am

Joyce A. Myers

Awh<3 Well, you're my inspiration so hats off to you.

Joyce A. Myers

I agree! I hope every school has one teacher like her. They make school so much more bearable!!!

Miss G said...
We are all pretty proud of the writer here at Palmyra Middle School! Congrats to our wonderful 8th grade writer!!

kkhere said...
Teachers like this are always something that make a difference!