The Individual of Difference | Teen Ink

The Individual of Difference

February 11, 2012
By OrenK PLATINUM, Flushing, New York
OrenK PLATINUM, Flushing, New York
21 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"My teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said happy. She said I didn't understand the assignment. I said she didn't understand life."- John Lennon


I have an unusual perception of what I believe a hero is. Some say it is their parents and others choose people that have done great things for society (which I also believe in). However, a hero to me is a person of difference. A person who doesn't follow the trends just because they are popular, and yes a lot of people do that. A hero to me is someone who drifts away from the crowd. Who becomes his/her own leader instead of joining a clique just to "fit in". Is it better to be the odd one out and be yourself then to be someone you aren't and be a follower of a group you yourself don't even believe in. It's a waste of a youth! Be a leader. This is the one exception where you should not be humble. Be who you are loud and proud and you will gain a self-respect. People will tell you what to and what not to do which is a natural human response, but this makes you stronger. So many teens become miserable from not doing this. They get into stuff that eventually might get them into trouble like heavy drugs, criminal activities, and just plain loss of self. Be who you are before what you once were is a stranger.