Brandon | Teen Ink

Brandon

By Tayyyyy SILVER, Clermont, Florida
Tayyyyy SILVER, Clermont, Florida

"You dont love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not"
— Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper)

What would you do if all your dreams were taken away in an instance? A normal day on a boat turned horrible. A boy’s dreams vanished in an instance. Brandon. A 13 year old boy who had many goals and dreams. It all happened in a matter of minutes. It started as a usual day on the boat. They lived on a canal right next to the ocean. They were all going as a family to see the sun set over the water. On the way back there boat hit a coral reef knocking them off the boat. Brandon was knocked backwards and pulled into the propeller. An amputated leg and many skin grafts later he lives. He is my hero because a little boy who played soccer and baseball has to learn to walk again! He fought through this always keeping his head held high. He can now walk and has a prosthetic leg. He is still a bubbly child but you can see his internal struggle of him not being able to act as a normal child. He perseveres though and is a great inspiration to me! I know if I was in his shoes I don’t think I could have been as brave as him! Not many people could. He is a true hero and taught me to always think positive and keep your head held high!

For my cousin who is my hero!