Do You Remember, Brother? | Teen Ink

Do You Remember, Brother? MAG

By Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado
Darkstar6265 GOLD, Centennial, Colorado

Everything you have will someday be gone. Even if you don’t miss it now, you probably will later. So take pictures and hide them in your memories so you can recall them later after everything that is becomes everything that was. OR I know you’re hurting, even if it’s just when you’re alone and thoughts seem to rush into your head and you can’t seem to keep them from coming in. But there can be beauty in pain; Even though sometimes it’s hard to see.

I don't really remember what it was like when I first moved into my new home. Or how it affected you, my brother. But it must have been strange, going from being an only child to having a little brother who was five years younger. And later having the focus shift from you to another person. Having to share your toys, the TV, and the gaming console. Going from things being yours to being ours. I can't even imagine. But that's why you've always been better than me. That's why when I look life in the eye, you're always there looking back, guiding me down the right path, saying, “Tommy, come this way.” You were always the one who would go first to make sure it was safe.

You always took responsibility when things went wrong. I don't think you know this, but you're my role model, you always have been. I've lived my life following in your footsteps. Believing the same things you believe, disliking what you dislike, and even liking the same girls you did. Which would seem futile; I was so much younger than you, and you always have more guts than me.

As we grew you never blew me off. If you were going somewhere and I wanted to come, you'd let me. Even though I got in the way, you and your friends still treated me like part of the group. Then, sadly, we both grew up, and went our separate ways. No longer are we the unstoppable duo. Now we only see each other on holidays and even those are seldom.

When I look into my future I try to figure out where you'll fit in. Where you will be when I get married, or have children? What will happen when Mom and Dad are gone? Will we get together like we used to and talk about anything, and laugh at everything? Or will we have stale conversations that go nowhere, but we keep talking because we think the other one wants us to? Even though in reality we both just want to sit together in silence, because we know we don't have anything in common anymore?

I miss the old days when we'd just sit in a room together and know what the other was thinking without ever moving our lips. Or when something made one of us angry, and we would just laugh at it. Those were the days, but sadly life moves on.

Yet life is constantly changing, and so are we. So maybe the future has plans for the unstoppable duo to reunite, and take the world by force like we once did.

MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There are pirate ships and steam ships but the best ship of all is friendship.

It really makes me appreciate everything and everyone I have in my life...especially my older brother.  I don't live with him but I know he would come to my state in a heartbeat to fend off any loser that came by.  Thank you for making me realize that!

tennis03 said...
I loved this article :) it is a true relationship between sibblings. I feel the exact same way about my sister as you do about your brother. I think this article will open many people's eyes. Thank you :)